homemade manifold

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jimboburgess

Go fast, Go Cheap
so i am looking to put a t3 in place of the 14b in my car in hopes of actually passing the 200whp mark on the dyno. here are pics of the manifold i made to pass this goal.
I managed to buy an old manifold that my friend bought for his focus for the price of a full tank of gas then i cut it and welded it to a fitting b-series exhaust manifold flange. all i need to do is mock it up for turbo fitting.
01-05-07_0009.jpg

you can see where i had to cut the manifold in order to bring the runners closer together. I am hoping that this manifold will flow many times better than the DSM manifold i cut apart before. it should fit better since i am using a honda flange ratehr than one i made myself, so less worries that it will spit out a gasket.
01-05-07_0008.jpg

Last edited:
your sig says it perfectly, how do you like my welds, they could be better, all i made sure was that there were no holes, the material was fairly thin.

your sig says it perfectly, how do you like my welds, they could be better, all i made sure was that there were no holes, the material was fairly thin.
yeah the welds look like shit...lol
But as long as there are no leaks you should be fine....

I made a manifold once, but kept craking, so I went and ordered one from afi for 600 shipped.
what turbo are you running?

Last edited:
nissan t3 .60 intake .63 hot
i only ever get the chance to weld on my own stuff and i get impatient, i guess it's good i only weld my own stuff.

You should checkout homemadeturbo.com they have got plenty of home built turbo projects.

nissan t3 .60 intake .63 hot
i only ever get the chance to weld on my own stuff and i get impatient, i guess it's good i only weld my own stuff.
I love your del sol and every time I see it it makes me want to sell the teg and get one. So stop posting, haha.

You should checkout homemadeturbo.com they have got plenty of home built turbo projects.
That is one of my main resources i use. it came in very handy for installing my dsm injectors.
I love your del sol and every time I see it it makes me want to sell the teg and get one. So stop posting, haha.
it may be halfassed, but it's turbo charged and you know it when you drive it. I love it too. I am happy i have a second car to use as a dd while i can do thing like a larger turbo install. downtime is no problem now.
what did you usea mig with what wire? you cannot weld cast with a mig. Its gonning to crack at the fla(n)ge
I don't think there will be too much to worry about with cracking, this material is thinner than the heavy cast manifold i currently am using, but it places around the flange and when i weld the T3 flange on i take extra care to make the welds solid and the flow is uninterupted, by taking my time with a grinder and rewelding when necessary smooth changes should prevent hot spots on the manifold and therefore i can hopefully avoid any cracking issues. The piping is ford racing so i trust it be well built.

you should weld up some support brackets to it to keep it from possibly cracking under the weght...

Doesnt look too too bad. You're going to need to bring the turbo mounting flange WAY down to fit the turbo.

ideas on support braces? just one per runner?
i still need to weld the t3 flange on i was wait to get everything fit til i could put it on the car
cause i am fabbing the downpipe at the same time.

ideas on support braces?

At least a couple from the head flange to the turbo flange. More is better. You don't want to take any chances on something cracking and dropping your turbo on the ground. With the thinwall materials, the heast cycling of normal operation is going to cause cracking at some point, just keep an eye on it, and weld them back up when they occur.

Craig

thanks, (also sarcasm) it waas rough to weld not my best work, that's what i get for never taking classes.
anyway here's a pic of the manifold on my car
01-15-07_1324.jpg

and here's a pic of the turbo that's going in place of my old 14b which i'll miss.
01-15-07_1323.jpg

finally the old turbo for size comparo
01-15-07_1322.jpg

i decided against bracing, the manifold was originally ford racing so it should be plenty sturdy
01-16-07_1624.jpg

01-16-07_1625.jpg

finished, i had to angle everything for two reasons
so it would fit
for the sweet jdm look

Last edited:
Back