Homeowner & DIY fix question...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Slo86GT

Super Moderator
Ok, so I got this house about 8 months ago, and I have home warranty still, probably will keep it up to date when the renewal comes around, but I think I can fix this without spending the $45 on the "copay" for the professional visit.

The toilet in my master bedroom has begun to leak internally, and now runs about every 20 minutes for 30 seconds or so. My waterbill already reflects a $6/mo increase from this, so I want to fix it up ASAP.

I already installed a new flapper to see if the leak was from there. Nope. same problem. There are 2 large bolts that hold the tank to the bowl, and I see black gaskets on those. The don't appear cracked or rotten. There is always the other tubing, such as the large pipe opening at the flapper door where there might be a leak.

Is it unusual to have to reseal these with silicone, or should I call the pro before messing around?

I've thought about testing to see WHERE the leak is with food coloring or something like that, but not sure if I might just be wasting my time.

Whatcha think? I know some of yous guys are pros! HELP!

try giving more slack in the chain connecting the handle to the flapper. Som times it can be too high and leak slightly and when it gets to a certain level it fills the tank back up. And it is not a full refill so i can see it taking 30 seconds. Either that or adjust the fill valve level to be slightly lower and maybe it will prolong it holding the water. It also could be possible that you bought the wrong flapper and it doesnt cover the drain in the tank. You would notice water on the bowl or floor if those 2 bolts are leaking inside the tank. Dont use food coloring unless you dont mind that color in your tank for 30 or so flushes :)

If your toilet has a ballcock (lol) then try bending the aluminum rod so the rod won't move around as much...

----------------()

-------^------()

that being a bend in either direction. What happens is there is a fill tube, and when the level of it runs into it, the toilet will start running. You need to play with the rod a little bit to get the running to stop.

here's a quick google on the subject:
http://www.ehow.com/how_330_repair-running-toilet.html

Try that or spend like 10 bucks and buy a toilet rebuild kit without the ball thing. It takes about ten minutes to put in.

replace the valve its 10 bucks and they have water saver ballcoks that eleminate the ball the install in under 5 mins.

I guess I didn't explain very well.

The water level in the tank actually drops. the float picks up that the water level has dropped and then it refills to compensate. It shuts off fine, then let it sit for 15-20 minutes, the water level has gone down 2-3 inches, and the valve opens to refill and shut off again when full.

My toilet has the newer style internals with the float around the fill tube, no ball/rod to bend.

Also, when I replaced the flapper, I left a little slack in the chain, so it's not holding it up at all. The chain sags slightly when closed.

well the only thing it can be is the flap isn't seating correctly. The only place for it to go is into the bowl... Maybe you bought the wrong seal?

Another thing you can do is drain the water out of the upper bowl, and put some vaseline on the flap... See if that helps at all.

Back