Honda Accord idles does not acclerate

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CHIPMONK

Honda Accord 2.3 Engine is ULE Vtec, Did an engine swap. Replacement Engine idles smooth. When I step on accelerator it revs and dies immediately. If I hold the accelerator at any given place, example 2000 rpm the engine fluctuates wildly and then dies. All sensors and switches, wiring, distributor, fuel injection manifolds and plenum, egr valve and all other components which were working properly on the engine that was replaced have been reinstalled properly. The job was being done as if it was a long block replacement. I replaced the original engine because it was knocking and running only three cylinders. When the car came into the shop the car ran on three cylinders and could be driven down the road. Now with the replacement engine the car cannot be driven at all.

i just had the same problem in my rsx, it would idle just fine but miss when reved it was a bad coil,

Changed out distributor still had the same problem. Both of the distributors, the one in the old engine and the one from the replacement engine have been tried and I still have the same problem. Grateful for any advice!!

check to make sure all your plugs are firing and make sure your running the correct ecu

Accord does not acclerate

How can I test the throttle position sensor? Also is there some why to check the solenoid that is connected to the fuel rail? Car idles great will not accelerate and has no codes or CEL.

Dude....there is a process to diagnostics...like anything, it should be approached with order and method. Stop swapping/throwing parts at it. You could play that game for weeks. It sounds to me like at some point in the swap, you have left something disconnected or perhaps as was mentioned, the ECU is wrong. What year is the car and what year car did the new motor come out of? You said when it came in to the shop? Is this where you work?

Last edited:
Dude....there is a process to diagnostics...like anything, it should be approached with order and method. Stop swapping/throwing parts at it. You could play that game for weeks. It sounds to me like at some point in the swap, you have left something disconnected or perhaps as was mentioned, the ECU is wrong. What year is the car and what year car did the new motor come out of? You said when it came in to the shop? Is this where you work?
I agree...process of elimination not replacement

To clarify what I did was change out the long block! The long block came from an Accord EX that had a production date 6 months post the date of the Accord EX in which it was installed. The same engine family, F23A4, ULEVVTEC, Hollander interchange number of 80123C.

I got the problem solved. The TPS and MAP sensor are very close together on the Throttle body and have identical plugs. I had these two plugs reversed. Car now runs great. It is not dude but dudette!

There you go. It kind of made sense that it was something simple. There is really no way anyone could have diagnosed that from afar..good job though dudette.

Back