Honda Accord Temperature Issues

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kennyyau

this is my first thread and post ,

i have a 1994 honda accord lx model with abs, this happens to me all the time, whenever my car is warmed out and i hit the highway, i travel about 60mph+ my temperature guage starts to fall to the blue line slowly, and soon enough if i go faster or have the ac on or defogger, the temperature guage goes all the way to the bottom. what kind of issue is this? and will it affect my engine?

everything on the car is stock.

and secondly, when i hit the rear defroster button next to the steering wheel column, my low oil light goes on, on the dashboard. i know i have 5 quarts of oil in there which is mobil 1 synthetic and i just got a recent oil change. any help will be appreciated thanks

thank you very much

how much would a new temperature usually cost? and would you happen to know if it's easy to replace?

as for the defrost button and oil light...check wiring. Sounds like the two wires may be shorted together. If the wires have vibrated and chaffed...they could be making contact when power is supplied to the defrost switch and the oil light is illuminated.

as far as your thermostat moving to a cooler level wont hurt your motor, but on the other hand if your not getting the right temperture reading you could be over heating !!

its kinda odd, when the car is fully warmed up and driven for a long period of time, the temperature is a little below the half way mark as always, i assume all honda's are like that, not too sure, but when i drive on the highway over 60+ the temperature starts falling down, i would think it would stay at normal temp but it doesnt, the line goes down which is odd. i wish it was the fact that...air is blowing my engine to cooling it down haha

when fully warmed up i should say it's about 1/8 inch below the half mark, not exactly near the 1/2 way mark but about 1/8 below it

If it was your sensor...it will typically default to -40...which will in turn make your car run richer and fuel economy decrease (due to the fact that your car won't go into closed loop because it doesn't sense vehicle at operating temperature).

yeah i have known people to put those resistors on hondas and notice that effect of the thermostat not reading right , he said hes all stock so i dont think that would be it , a sensor is 59.99 at honda dealership and takes a 15mm to replace it , located right under the distributor .

well talking about fuel economy it sucks like you said it could be the o2 as well, but it was changed recently i would say about a year ago, but perhaps could be a faulty one? let's just say if im really lucky ill get 250 miles out of the whole 12 gallons.

well if the o2 is bad then you get a check engine light and the car runs like crap . you should get good gas milage in that accord

I still don't think it's the sensor...if the gauge moves...it means the sensor is atleast working. I would try the thermostat first (cheaper). Just make sure you get the right one...they have different temp ratings and all basically look the same. Also make sure you put it in the right way (direction)

Back