Honda B-series rotation

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

Ok i know the honda b-series spin couter-clockwise(towards cabin?). but i was looking at the transmission(pic from b20vtec.com of lsd installation)and noticed if the engine was spinning counter-clockwise then the car would be going backwards. am i missing something? i tried searching for diagrams and drawings of the transmission but cant find any. can anyone confirm? thx.

it spins towards the front of the car.... up in back, down in front
almost every other FWD car sits the tranny on the drive side, thus 180* spin in the mounting...

thanks man.
but does this configuration cause torque steer? or is the in rwd cars? i remember an article(tried searching but cant find it anymore), i dont know if it was true or not, but stated cars with the engine spinning the same direction as the car is moving causes torque steer.

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Dec 22 2003, 11:03 AM
thanks man.
but does this configuration cause torque steer? or is the in rwd cars? i remember an article(tried searching but cant find it anymore), i dont know if it was true or not, but stated cars with the engine spinning the same direction as the car is moving causes torque steer.

No... having torque to begin with is what causes torque steer. :lol: I have yet to experience any torque steer in my Si, mainly because it has 111 ft lbs. Try driving a Spec V in 1st and 2nd gear...those 180 ft lbs come up quick at 4000 rpm, now THAT is torque steer. If you mod your car and as it gains more torque, you'll feel it eventually. Torque steer is only in FWD cars.

i know ff cars have torque steer.

i found out; they actually use the reverse-rotation(motor spinning opposite direction from direction car is moving) in in small radio controlled cars that are 1/8th scale or smaller, while the larger cars (1/5) have them configured any way; awd and rwd. does this affect full-scale cars the same way?

Try driving a Spec V in 1st and 2nd gear...those 180 ft lbs come up quick at 4000 rpm, now THAT is torque steer.

My dad's Spec V is just like that. 1-2-3 gears are all smoke if you want them to be. Redlines WAY too early though.

I think that on the small cars, the engine is ran right onto the axle, no differential or anything, so torque steer wouldn't be a problem. On regular cars, torque steer can be caused by different length axles, among other things.

Originally posted by 5genracer@Dec 23 2003, 12:56 AM
Try driving a Spec V in 1st and 2nd gear...those 180 ft lbs come up quick at 4000 rpm, now THAT is torque steer.

My dad's Spec V is just like that. 1-2-3 gears are all smoke if you want them to be. Redlines WAY too early though.

I think that on the small cars, the engine is ran right onto the axle, no differential or anything, so torque steer wouldn't be a problem. On regular cars, torque steer can be caused by different length axles, among other things.

It redlines early because of it's 100 mm bore...fuckin huge ass pistons rotating don't make the engine as smooth as it could have...so Nissan threw on a compact balancer...the QR25DE engine is a waste of engineering and material as far as I'm concerned. I'm willing ot bet that people will be throwing in some SR20DETs in their new Vs very soon. :)

The V has a stock LSD on (I think) equal length half shafts. I could get on it just fine on dry days and not have too big of a problem with it, but when it's raining, dont get on it...

Originally posted by revolution8k@Dec 23 2003, 02:08 AM
It redlines early because of it's 100 mm bore...fuckin huge ass pistons rotating don't make the engine as smooth as it could have...so Nissan threw on a compact balancer...the QR25DE engine is a waste of engineering and material as far as I'm concerned. I'm willing ot bet that people will be throwing in some SR20DETs in their new Vs very soon. :)

i dont know, the motor seems to have very good potential. if you even looked in the brochure, they have some pretty trick parts; including the exhaust manifold. My friend's cousin has a spec-v and he kills a whole bunch of cars; including some tuned civics(note: his car is stock and has full interior). also dave coleman switched to a se-r (i dont know if its spec v or not) but says he has plenty of power. btw i dont think you can put a sr20det in the sentra. the sr20det is a rwd motor.

me, personally, i would keep the motor from all the reviews i hear. and maybe supercharge it.

The only way I've seen this engine make some serious power was after resleeving the cylinder walls to get the bore down to near square with the stroke. After that you can throw away the balancer & raise the redline... there was an article about someone doing this in like the September/October issue of Sport Compact car, he started making around 220+ hp out of it...N/A... :eek: He wouldn't tell what he did to it exactly, but you know it had to be something along those lines.

Personally unless you have the shop experience, and money the QR25DE isn't worth it.

and I thought the SR20DE came in both Fwd and Rwd configs?? Or am I thinking about a 2.4 series engine?? <_<

if it came with the car, i would just keep it! that is all i am saying. As for shop experience, i dont really care for i know lots of people with nissans(mostly 300zx's and sentras) and i can ask them for tips, or i can start learning about the block.

Jim Wolf Technology has a kit to remove the balancer. they did a dyno test in Turbo but i can't find the issue.

Back