Honda...but with two wheels

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
if any of you guys have any opinions on Honda sport bikes? I think I wanna get one one of these days (it'll be a while as I just bought a car though)

I was lookin on the Honda website and they have quite a few to choose from.

CBR1100XX $10,999
RC51 $10,999
Super Hawk $8,599
CBR954RR $10,599
919 $7,999
Interceptor $9,999
Interceptor ABS $10,999
CBR600F4i $8,199
CBR600RR $8,599

Each of those have different specific models to choose from, and they all have their own specs and features.

Anyone own one or have any comments on them?

This would be a summer bike to ride around on or maybe even take to work every now and then when it's warm and dry.

Am I an idiot, or should I even try one since I have no clue as how to operate it? Even though I'd probably learn how before I did buy one. B)

or maybe start off on something with a little less horsepower? an older on/off road enduro bike would be a good start... like an early 90's yamaha xt350. its not too tall, and its got good power throughout its band.

When buying a bike for the first time (assuming you've never ridden before), you need to swallow your pride and admit that you're unexperienced. General rule of thumb: Nothing over 70 RWHP. As for a first bike, find a Ninja 250 for $1500, ride it for a season, and sell it for what you paid.

Now, the reason I say 250 is because 1) I've owned one and know what they're about (unlike all the guys that say they suck), and 2) I don't need to be a squid to prove I'm a man; you have absolutly NO room for error on a bike, and the bigger the bike, the closer that margin is to you. Like everyone says, yes, you will get bored with it, but that's why you buy a used one. Out of the box, a 250 will turn a low 14 second 1/4 mile, so it's already faster than 95% of the cars out there, so it's not like it's some POS that can barely keep up with traffic. Tops out at about 115. They handle almost as good as the current crop of 600s, but the rear shock holds it back.

Other options if you can swallow your pride and understand that you don't know what you're doing (again, if you've never ridden before) would be a Kawasaki EX500, older Honda CBR 600 F1, F2, or F3, Honda VF500F Interceptor, or any of the "standard" bikes like the Honda CB series. The Suzuki SV650 is another good bet, and if you want an Italian nightmare, a Ducati Monster is nice too.

Originally posted by TrailorParkPimp@Sep 20 2003, 04:27 PM
get a chopper :)

No. I don't want an expensive as hell chopper. :p

Thank you Loco. I have no idea how to ride, & I have no problem swallowing it about this subject. Thanks for the advice.

Anybody else have any opinions suggestions?

i prefer on/off road bikes myself... but ill probably pick up a used honda rebel 250 sometime and restore the hell out of it.

Ride a friends dirt bike, or small street bike (600 or smaller) a few times before you buy one. Take the $1500 you'd waste on a 250, and buy a nice 600/700 for your first bike. Take it easy and learn on it until you feel comfy. Then you will still have a hell of a bike under your nutz once you are ready for some real throttle.

of all the bikes you listed, since its your first bike, go with a 600f4i or the 600rr (if your stuck on those bikes). The seats on the f4i are a bit uncomfy, but you can fix that or get use to it. You really dont want to drop a ton of cash on your first bike, because you will make mistakes on it, drop it, or worse wreck it.

WEAR YOUR GEAR. hold on.. did u see that??

WEAR YOUR GEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (the bare minimum a helmet)

hondas are good bikes, im in the process of getting my 929 or 954. You can seriously beat the shit out of them. And they run forever, a 929 i saw for sale had 30,000+ miles. And it was stunted :p

When buying a bike for the first time (assuming you've never ridden before), you need to swallow your pride and admit that you're unexperienced. General rule of thumb: Nothing over 70 RWHP. As for a first bike, find a Ninja 250 for $1500, ride it for a season, and sell it for what you paid.

Now, the reason I say 250 is because 1) I've owned one and know what they're about (unlike all the guys that say they suck), and 2) I don't need to be a squid to prove I'm a man; you have absolutly NO room for error on a bike, and the bigger the bike, the closer that margin is to you. Like everyone says, yes, you will get bored with it, but that's why you buy a used one. Out of the box, a 250 will turn a low 14 second 1/4 mile, so it's already faster than 95% of the cars out there, so it's not like it's some POS that can barely keep up with traffic. Tops out at about 115. They handle almost as good as the current crop of 600s, but the rear shock holds it back.

Other options if you can swallow your pride and understand that you don't know what you're doing (again, if you've never ridden before) would be a Kawasaki EX500, older Honda CBR 600 F1, F2, or F3, Honda VF500F Interceptor, or any of the "standard" bikes like the Honda CB series. The Suzuki SV650 is another good bet, and if you want an Italian nightmare, a Ducati Monster is nice too.

:werd: :werd: :werd:

I couldn't agree more, I convinced my friend who didn't know anything about a Bike, I am even talking about what the CC's were. He took me with him, and I told start off on a Ninja 250. All he wanted was a bike that looked "BAD ASS." Well, showed him the Ninja 250 he thought it was sweet. Got a 2004, for $4,000, along with a Leather Jacket, gloves, and helmet. He was a bout to get ripped off for some 1993 Honda or Yamaha, I don't remember, except it was a 1,000 I think. I thought he was going to kill himself. Anyway, he dumped his bike like 5 times, but only spent $3,000 on the bike instead of $8,000, and since the bike is so cheap, you can still, if you want learn to do wheelies and what I like to call stoppies. Back wheel up. Anyway, just my two cents.

Thanks again guys. To answer someones statement, I'm not exactly stuck on those bikes, but those are the sport bikes listed on honda.com.

I'd like to learn how to ride with both wheels, and I really don't need/want to do wheels or whatever. :lol:

Thanks for the input guys...anyone know of a site or something that will show you the basics of riding and whatnot?

take a motorcycle saftey course, they will teach you A TON of stuff. And in the process you'll get your license, kill 2 birds w. 1 stone

Originally posted by paragus@Sep 21 2003, 10:10 PM
take a motorcycle saftey course, they will teach you A TON of stuff. And in the process you'll get your license, kill 2 birds w. 1 stone

absolutely...best investment evAr!!!!!! Not only will your insurance be cheaper, but once you pass the class ,they give you your license without having to take it at the registry with a cop.

Make sure you wear your gear, and saty AWAY from the 600cc Bikes until you at least have a full season on something smaller......Kawasaki EX500 is a good bet. If your stuck on getting a 600, you could also get a Suzuki Katana. Slower, less HP and more weight. The rider sits in more of an upright position, and also gives you the benefit of a gas guage, unlike some of the others.....

The class is a great idea, my buddy took it, and the insurnce was much cheaper. But trust me, eventually once you get comfortable on the bike you will want to show off a little bit.

Back