Honda cold feet?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

n1mr0d

I went with my friend to the Mitsubishi dealer because he wanted to try out an Evo and he wanted me to come with cause I can wheel and deal being a former sales person myself. Well it ended up that we were given the keys to a new evo 8 and told that we can go on the test drive. So we left the lot and were gone for about an hour and a half, filling the gas tank once mind you. WOW. I knew turbo was fun. I knew AWD was phat but this would put my EG hybrid to sleep. Granted I don't have the turbo on it yet but was getting all the other things (suspension, LSD, gearing, B18C swap) done so that when I had the money for the turbo (this summer aka now) I wouldn't have a lot of down time trying to sorce everything under the sun.

Anyways the point being was that I really liked this car. I thrashed the hell out of it and it drifted how I wanted, slowed, acceled and so on like what I would like out of the Civic if not more. Then I was thinking well I could make the EG AWD but came to the reality of 90/10 is not AWD. Ok so I could get a turbo setup that would spank an EVO. What about traction? 2 vs. 4? on a roll? So as I sat their in the car thinking to myself why not to buy the car cause HONDA IS BETTER (this coming from the guy that has every Honda product besides the NEW home generator and the turbo fan engine), I continued to run into reasons on why to buy the EVO and make a new money pit.

I know that Mitsu is in some finanical trouble and that the drive lines are "sketchy" but after watching the WMV of the 601whp EVO, that was posted on here, smoke everything under the sun and not explode makes me want to sign my name at the dotted line. The only real thing that is holding me back is the cost. My EG is paid for. EVO=33k plus tax. Yeah I could wait and thats fine and dandy but it doesn't solve my core problem here that I need help with. Why is a Hondaholic looking his lusty eyes else where? I'm hoping that some of my fellow Hondaholic's will be able to help me during these dark and uncertain times.

ummmm so you are asking why you were so impressed with it??? um cuz its something that you dont have now and is better than what you have...

Originally posted by Seany-izzle@May 11 2005, 12:17 AM
ummmm so you are asking why you were so impressed with it??? um cuz its something that you dont have now and is better than what you have...
[post=497705]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks so much for your much needed insight. :unsure:

What I'm looking for is if someone could reason with me on why if they were in the same situation, which I'm sure a lot of us have been, would choose to stick with the Honda or cross over to the Dark side. Perhaps a little more abstract thought will be needed.

EVO > all current hondas. Hands down

If I had the cash, I would lose the rex and buy an EVO in a heartbeat....and I love my rex to death!

well gee, someone needs to take a class in forming a well flowing sentence and question. It sounds like you have the money for a new evo. IF you have the money and you love it so much, why not do it? YOu can make way more power out of an evo, you can get it to handle tons better than a basic eg, and itll be new. With a few grand youll easily be able to slap down 350hp and get it to handle like a ferrari ;) So what im saying to you is, since you like it and have the money...go ahead, but id wait till next years evo.

I'd buy an EVO in a heartbeat if I had the cash.

Originally posted by E_SolSi@May 10 2005, 10:59 PM
if i had the cash for an evo

id buy an STi
[post=497733]Quoted post[/post]​

This is the key right here. :)

But yeah, I'm a Subie convert. I used to love the hell out of my Honda. Now, I've got a moderately modded Subie, and I don't think I'd ever go back to a Honda. Well, a FWD Honda anyway. :lol:

If I could spend the $ I have I would go for an EVO or STI... or just a big ass turbo f350 crew cab... but oh well, can't spend the $...

Well, i'm sure that you will love your car even more after you buy the turbo... If not, just sell it and buy an EVo and get in debt again hehehe...

but yes, the evo is a beautiful car.

Uh if the honda is already paid for and you already have a good honda suspension setup then why not convert to AWD. You said it would be 90/10 but it doesn't have to be...there's an article on the guy that has the CRV 4wd system with a 50/50 split because the differential is welded. It would be a hell of a lot cheaper to just convert to AWD in the eg if thats what you're looking for.

With that said, you can't replace the modern conveniences of a new car, well you can but to get the interior to feel the same way and have all the gauges and gadgets will take some money.

I think you can make the eg handle just as well as the EVO and be AWD if you're willing to throw some money at it...and it will still be cheaper that way but you more than likely won't get that money back. Hey thats cars though, the worst investment you can make.

AWD hondas are a waste of money. An AWD honda will NEVER handle anywhere near as well as an STi or Evo because it wasn't made to be.

STi>Evo>>>>>>*.honda

Originally posted by Citizen_Insane@May 11 2005, 12:03 PM
AWD hondas are a waste of money. An AWD honda will NEVER handle anywhere near as well as an STi or Evo because it wasn't made to be.

STi>Evo>>>>>>*.honda
[post=497863]Quoted post[/post]​

Throw enough money at it and it will.

The biggest factors for me would be, do I want the modern conviences and do I want to be tied to a monthly payment for 3-5years.

throw enough money at an sti and it will own a honda with the same cash thrown at it.

the payment isn't bad. the sti is my first payment car too... and well, instead of dumping 500-1000 a month on mods, im spending 600 on a payment, and i have the power the whole time.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 11 2005, 12:08 PM
throw enough money at an sti and it will own a honda with the same cash thrown at it.

the payment isn't bad. the sti is my first payment car too... and well, instead of dumping 500-1000 a month on mods, im spending 600 on a payment, and i have the power the whole time.
[post=497871]Quoted post[/post]​

This isn't a fair debate here.

You start with a $15,000 platform and throw x amount of cash at it.
You start with a $35,000 platform and throw x amount of cash at it.

If x amount of cash is the same into both platforms, of course the one that started off more expensive is going to be better. There's a reason for the difference in price, its not only reputation but also quality that reflects the price.

Thats why people can easily make the argument that if you spend the same amount of money on mods for a domestic as you do for a civic then the domestic should always win. If we can buy a turbocharger, they can too and since there's no replacement for displacement they'll always own us.

The argument shouldn't be based on how much you put into mods alone, but overall cost. For less than $35,000 he can make his car handle the same as a stock $35,000 sti/evo.

"better" or any other adjective is purely subjective, however.

personally, i'd rather have a 450whp sti that cost me 40,000 to own, than a 600 hp honda that cost me 30k to build.

Back