honda crx help!!!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jelma1854

88 honda crx with a d15b2 with L3 tranny....need to know if i put b16a or b16b swap motor and tranny in it will it fit without modifying the car too much....want to keep it as a 5 speed... 1 more ? how do i remove the 120 limiter on the car^_^

I'm bored and nobody's replying to my posts so I'll reply to your post. I'm pretty much a flaming noob, but I'm in the process of doing a similar swap (B16A1 OBD0 with Auto Tranny into a '91 CRX DX Auto), and I've been looking at a lot of info regarding B16A swaps in CRX's.

The short answer looks like no. You have to modify your engine bay and mounts for the B16 to fit. You can buy pre-made mounts though, for as cheap as ~$100, or you can get really expensive HASport mounts for $399. If you use these mounts, I think you have to put a dent in your driver side front side frame rail for the alternator to clear. Just google search or look on ebay for "B16 CRX mounts".

Can't help you with the limiter, have no clue...

Also, I think this post belongs in the Hybrid section of the forum...

it does belong in the hybrid section. I didnt think there was any body work, just new mounts. I havent done the swap, but hopefully after i move this to the right section youll get more help.

As for the limiter, you can remove it by chipping the ECU.

I bought a 91 CRX Si that already has a B16 swap and there was no denting to get the alternator to clear. I have a B16A with a cable clutch 5spd and I the only things I can see are the swap mounts, the resistor box for the injectors, and very lightly moding of the wiring harness. Of course it doesnt have crx halfshafts, it has 90-93 Integra shafts. Also, another neat swap are the rear disc brakes from an Integra. Also, everything looks factory.

Also depends on which 88 crx you have......SI???
I'm almost finished with mine, and this is what I recommend:
Hasport EFB1 mount kit msrp$400
hasport linkage efblink msrp$150(if you don't do this, you'll have to modify some other linkage....dunno bout that)(or get the ef sir linkage. I HEAR those will work, but it can't be from the xsi, just ef sir)
If you have a SI, you don't need a new resistor box or anything to do with your main harness. Just add four wires for vtec, second o2, and knock, and you're good on the wiring. Other models need a little more wiring.
I found that I needed to buy a 90 integra throttle cable due to mine not being long enough to reach the throttle body. $20 bucks from acura, or make a custom bracket.
90 integra axles if you use hasport mount
If you get hasport mounts(which i recommend), you have to make a dent(very simple) below the shock tower hole on your engine bay wall about the size of a fist to make room for the alternator pulley. You may also have to bend down(easy) the rear crossmember by the mount to make room for the rear bracket to clear for the mount(pics from hasport make it clear).
However, this is the easiest swap for your car(as mine is the 88crxsi also)....so i would stick with the b16a sir swap(this swap)
Biggest thing that determines what you need to buy and how it'll succeed (well, next to the mechanic), is what mounts you use, due to it changing the engine placement.
But this stuff's what I've had experience with in my swap right now. Hope this helps you.

Last edited:
Also depends on which 88 crx you have......SI???
I'm almost finished with mine, and this is what I recommend:
Hasport EFB1 mount kit msrp$400
hasport linkage efblink msrp$150(if you don't do this, you'll have to modify some other linkage....dunno bout that)(or get the ef sir linkage. I HEAR those will work, but it can't be from the xsi, just ef sir)
If you have a SI, you don't need a new resistor box or anything to do with your main harness. Just add four wires for vtec, second o2, and knock, and you're good on the wiring. Other models need a little more wiring.
I found that I needed to buy a 90 integra throttle cable due to mine not being long enough to reach the throttle body. $20 bucks from acura, or make a custom bracket.
90 integra axles if you use hasport mount
If you get hasport mounts(which i recommend), you have to make a dent(very simple) below the shock tower hole on your engine bay wall about the size of a fist to make room for the alternator pulley. You may also have to bend down(easy) the rear crossmember by the mount to make room for the rear bracket to clear for the mount(pics from hasport make it clear).
However, this is the easiest swap for your car(as mine is the 88crxsi also)....so i would stick with the b16a sir swap(this swap)
Biggest thing that determines what you need to buy and how it'll succeed (well, next to the mechanic), is what mounts you use, due to it changing the engine placement.
But this stuff's what I've had experience with in my swap right now. Hope this helps you.

2nd o2 sensor? Mine only has one o2 in the mid pipe. I have a header maybe thats why. It seems to run well though...

b16a sir should all have need a second o2 sensor to be wired to the ecu(the ecu needs the signal from this sensor also) into c8. If your swap came with the manifold, it should've come with both sensors in their stock positions on the manifold. The second o2 sensor is due to the fact that one sensor controls air/fuel ratios for 1&4, and the other 2&3. Some people experience major performance issues in low speeds/rpm's if the 2nd is spliced into the already wired sensor. This is highly not reccommended. Just solder a wire to the second o2, and run it to c8 on the connector on the new ecu. For more info, search or go to hasport.com under instructions. Again, this is for the si, more wiring's needed on some other models.

Wow I will need to start a new thread. I am lost, and since I swapped the new short block into my car, it wont run right at all. I am confused though because it ran great for the guy I got it from until he threw 2 rods.

thanks for all the info......however changing mind on motor for car....will be in touch for more help though (i bet) thanks again

Back