Honda CRX SiR

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Projekt Koncept

I've been reading over these forums all day now, and I got to say, this is one of the most informative places around. Now on to my question!

I assume that Type "R" stands for Race. Now would the Honda CRX SiR be a Type "R" model? If so, would dropping a B16A1 into a Si model make the Si model Type "R" as that is what the SiR comes with?

Also what the heck is a ricer? :lol:

A ricer is someone who parades around with bodykits/wings and other useless crap and pretends to have a fast car as well as believe it is the fastest thing on wheels. In my opinion ricers are arrogant assholes who respect nobody that is unlike them. I hope this somewhat answers your question about ricers.

Originally posted by integraenthusiest@Jul 20 2004, 09:54 PM
A ricer is someone who parades around with bodykits/wings and other useless crap and pretends to have a fast car as well as believe it is the fastest thing on wheels. In my opinion ricers are arrogant assholes who respect nobody that is unlike them. I hope this somewhat answers your question about ricers.
[post=365995]Quoted post[/post]​

:lol: Yeah that about answers my question about ricers. :lol:

But I'm still not quite sure about the Type "R" question... :unsure:

Nope an SiR motor is just that, an SiR. A type R motor comes out of a Civic Type R or an Integra Type R. Motor codes of B16B or B18C5.

edit : or B18C if its a jdm integra type r motor.

OK, now I know the B18C5 would require massive rewiring cause its a differant OBD. Would this also apply to the B16B? And would the B16B drop right in to a CRX like a B16A1?

You should be fine if you get yourself an OBD-0 SiR-I (SiR-1) engine swap kit.

'88-'91 Civic/CRX take OBD-0 SiR-I engines, '92-'95 Civic (EG) take OBD-1 SiR-II engines. Both of those are B16A. The '96-'00 Civic (EK) takes the B16B Type R engine, which is OBD-2.

As far as I know, the only difference between the OBD-0 and OBD-1 B16A engines is the OBD wiring/computer changes...

EDIT: These are only the Civic engines you can swap to... You can also do an Integra (B18 series) engine swap, but due to the age of your CRX there would be OBD changes involved and whatnot. if you want the flat out cheapest and easiest swap, look for the B16A SiR-I. Same OBD and stuff, should go in without much trouble. Check out www.hmotorsonline.com if you're looking for swap prices.

Lets also not forget about transmissions.

91's and before, cable. 92's+ are hydrolic.

Not too big of a deal, many conversions to swing either way. But, if your not planning right, it could be an unexpected hit to the wallet.

And wiring, not too big of a deal if your using the appropriate OBD harness and distributor.

Dollar for dollar.... go with the first gen B16 (OBD-0, cable tranny) and then...
bolt ons bolt ons bolt ons

PS- this is my first post YAY

Gotta get a car first. B) I'm assesing the possabilites of a CRX vs. a del sol.

With a '90 CRX I can just drop in a B16A1 and go from there.

With a '97 del sol I could drop in a B18C5 and go Hybrid AND Type R, BUT that costs more $$$.

My goal is to build a daily driver, on a small budget, that I can have fun with on weekends. The CRX is older, but more roomy and the del sol is the exact opposite. <_< I'm looking to throw out at least 200wbhp, and I'm pretty sure the B16A1 is more than capable of that. Not sure what else to say.

EDIT: osakajdmmotors.com has a B16A1 for $1100 - Would I be able to pull off this swap with my Dad in a garage with no special tools?

Buy a '90 or '91 CRX Si. Those things are damn quick with a B16 and some driving skills... DelSol VTECs came with a B16 in them in the staes, so the only logical "upgrade" would be to either a B18C1 "GSR" engine or a B18C5 "Type-R" engine... meaning much more money. A CRX with a SiR-I swap would make a MUCH better daily driver, IMO.

I'd buy a full swap kit from hmotorsonline. Link: http://hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search...page&item=30002

With that you get EVERYTHING, including the proper trans, ecu, wiring, sensors, and of course the engine. IMO for a first swap, better to put a little more into a kit and be sure you have everything. With the hmotors package all you need is mounts, and you can order those at the same time from them.

If your dad is an experienced engine mechanic, it will be much easier. Plan on starting early Saturday morning and finishing late sunday evening, or possibly longer. everyone here has horror stories about how something went wrong.

In short, buy the package and save yourself some headache.

EDIT: With a B16, you start around 160 horses, and with a bunch of boltons (good intake, good exhaust, etc etc etc you could hit 180 to 190. In a CRX that is more than sufficient.

Dropping a B16A1 into a CRX Si wouldn't require a "Dummies Guide To Engine Swapping" would it? :lol: The B16A1 has the same OBD as the D16A6, so it wouldn't require any rewiring. It'd just be a matter of taking everything apart and remembering how it came apart, so you can drop in the new engine and reassemble everything. Or am I just dreaming here? :lol:

Also, at the time of swap, would it be a good idea to replace the clutch and flywheel with something capable of handling more power?

There are a ton of how-to guides in the articles section, y0.

The swap package from hmotors has the clutch and flywheel with it... You should be fine on the stock clutch with bolt ons. Seriously, save yourself some headache and spend the extra for the full swap kit and mounts from Hmotorsonline.. you'll be glad you did

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Jul 21 2004, 12:40 AM
There are a ton of how-to guides in the articles section, y0.

The swap package from hmotors has the clutch and flywheel with it... You should be fine on the stock clutch with bolt ons. Seriously, save yourself some headache and spend the extra for the full swap kit and mounts from Hmotorsonline.. you'll be glad you did
[post=366095]Quoted post[/post]​

I meant the hmotors kit. ;) Sorry I didn't point that out. But would it be a good idea to drop in say an ACT clutch and XACT flywheel, at the time of swap? Everywhere you look they say engines avg. 35000 - 40000 miles. But we all know thats BS. There's no sure way of proving it.

Basically what I'm aiming at is building up the engine while it's OUT of the car. Clutch and myabe Type "R" pistons to boost compression to 11:0. Everything like intake and exhaust can be done once the engine is IN the car.

Actually the milage is usually correct. These engines come from Japan where they have pretty strict emissions laws and engines are often replaced after 35-40k. I would reccomend putting in a new timing belt, water pump and clutch while you have the engine out. And if you do decide to buy an engine go with http://hmotorsonline.com and ask for steve. For internal parts and engine work check out http://importbuilders.com, he is a member of this site and VERY knowledgable.

^^^^
When you've called Hmotors, has anyone other than Steve answered? He must have that phone glued to his ear!

Sir I motors have 10.2 compression and are rated at 160Hp and 111 torque. WHile SiR II motors have 10.4 compression and are rated at 170 hp and 113 torque

Originally posted by GeorgeLouis1618@Jul 20 2004, 11:37 PM
Lets also not forget about transmissions.

91's and before, cable. 92's+ are hydrolic.

Not too big of a deal, many conversions to swing either way. But, if your not planning right, it could be an unexpected hit to the wallet.

And wiring, not too big of a deal if your using the appropriate OBD harness and distributor.

Dollar for dollar.... go with the first gen B16 (OBD-0, cable tranny) and then...
bolt ons bolt ons bolt ons

PS- this is my first post YAY
[post=366056]Quoted post[/post]​

You're wrong...

Until 93 B series were Cable
Until 92 D series were Cable

Back