HONDA GURU please help! ect problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

coreylol

getting a code 6, ect

so first off..the car is a 89 crx HF with a obd0 b16 swap. i did a search and i found the info on the faq about getting a resistor and plugging it in to see if the problem is with the sensor or the wiring. well i got the resistor (330 ohm 1/2 watt spec, or one from Radio Shack part# 271-1113) and i still get a cel 6 and bad idle. i also have the factory service manual for the crx and i went through the process of testing with a multimeter. and the wiring seems to be alright. i get 5v's on the red wire and i get 5v's between the red and green wire on the ect. i finally broke down and bought a new ect and tried that....still getting a cel!!!! one thing that did turn the cel off was when i restarted the car after it was already warmed up...i guess because the car doesn't look at the ect after its warm? i'm not sure. can anyone help??

Most all sensors are monitored constantly by the ECU.
Have you reset the ECU after replacing parts or disconnecting sensors?
Its a must. Trouble codes typically remain stored even after repairs.

Pull the ECU back up fuse or disconnect your battery for a couple minutes.

Did the swap ever function correctly?

Radiator cap not pressurizing? Maybe way off base but thowin that out there.

hah...yeah i reset the ecu. every time i make any change i reset the ecu.

and i'm pretty sure the system is holding pressure...it's not leaking anything. and when i put the new sensor in..i took the cap off and some fluid came out because of the pressure.

i have one more question. is it possible to just hardwire the sensor to the ecu? or are the wires connected to anything else?

ok. weird thing happened today. i'm sitting at a red light and the cel turns off and my idle goes back to normal...what the hell?

Idle gremlins.

See if it still does funny stuff tomorrow, or after the car has cooled down and not run for a while.

yeah its weird man. the light went off today after the car warmed up. then i drove home and let it sit for a minute. started it back up...and the cel came on. then i reset the ecu and started it backup and it hasnt come back on since....weird?? hopefully it wont come back...crossin my fingers!

Idle gremlins.

See if it still does funny stuff tomorrow, or after the car has cooled down and not run for a while.

alright. so i let the car cool down completely and then started it up and drove around and the cel came on instantly. then when the car was warmed up.....it went off. what the hell? anyone know whats goin on here? the sensor is brand new

Back