Honda History

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

aLLmOtOr

Hello everyone! I am in need of some information. Does anyone know when Honda started importing their cars to the US? Who made it possible? Vtec technology? And how is Honda and Acura Related? Thank you for any information given! I am doing this as a college report on Import Cars.

Originally posted by B16@Nov 13 2003, 08:09 PM
http://www.google.com

:withstupid:

420490_117_full.gif

Acura is Honda's "luxury" division, like Nissan & Infiniti, Ford & Mercury (in it's own way) and Toyota & Lexus.

I think honda brought there cars into this country in 1975, vtec was developed in 91? Honda and acura are the same company, honda owns acura. Acura is the upperclass honda. i hope this helps, I'm not exactly into the honda jistory as much as working on the car itself

the B16 came out in 89, so that was when vtec was put in production cars. it was first developed by Honda's F1 team before that i belive.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Nov 13 2003, 08:16 PM
honda jistory

I hope not, that's pretty sick.

:bo:

sorry

When noobs ask questions like this, everyone learns something. B16 :worthy: :lol:

gran turismo 2 actually had some good info at the dealership....cant remember what all but remember it being interesting

Originally posted by B16@Nov 13 2003, 08:29 PM
the B16 came out in 89, so that was when vtec was put in production cars. it was first developed by Honda's F1 team before that i belive.

Not being an ass, but isnt vtec for fuel economy first and foremost? So why would F1 be using that technology?

no vtec was made for performance, i think i-tec was made for economy, I dunno there was some special kind of vtec that was meant for economy though

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Nov 13 2003, 08:16 PM
I think honda brought there cars into this country in 1975,

I owned a '74 hatch. The really tiny 600 series were a few years earlier. So maybe the first ones were in 72, maybe in 71.

SOHC Vtec cars like D16s were built for economy, DOHC VTEC were built with the upmost performance possible in a small displacement engine, while keeping with better gas mileage. At least that's how I see it.

Originally posted by NoJokE+Nov 13 2003, 05:45 PM-->
@Nov 13 2003, 08:29 PM

Not being an ass, but isnt vtec for fuel economy first and foremost? So why would F1 be using that technology?

didn't feel like searching too much, but found this part
Honda's penchant for technical innovation still ran unabated. 1988 saw the production-vehicle premiere of VTEC - variable valve timing and lift electronic control. This engine system had its origins in Honda's successful formula 1 involvement. It improves performance and efficiency in 16-valve engines, becoming important at this time to resolve the conflict between comfort and emission design criteria. Similar systems are now quite common.

http://www.autocluster.com/autobrands/h/ho...ndahistory.html

Thanks guys for relpying. I can use all this in my report! I thought Vtec was a recent invention! Hahahahaha ...

far from it. as far as I know the patent ran out for HOnda on it's VTEC, which is why Toyota, Nissan, Ford, and Chevy are all starting to "copy" the basic principle of the systems and use them in their cars Nissan has CVTC, Ford has ZETEC, and chevy has ECOTEC. They all use some sort of variable timing of some sort...but nothing nearly as complicated as VTEC.

Mercadies benz has had their own "vtec" since the 60's. Honda didn't invent variable timing. They just made it cool because of that movie.

**Sorry for spelling, I'm funked up.**

What movie? I really didn't think they mentioned vtec in F&F.

It's been popular since I can remember. When the 99-00 si, everyone was siked, biggest deal since the type r was released in the states.

I would say since the GSR, but yeah I was only 6 when that came out :(.

What Variable valve timing mercedes have? :unsure:

Wasent honda first to patent that?

I dont think any mercedes driver said wait till vtec kicks in!

VTEC is for more power, not in VTEC is for fuel economy, thats why most drag car hondas dont have VTEC, wtf is the point of having an extra set of lobes on your cam if you car already has shitty gas mileage.

VTEC has many brothers and sisters in different cars but they didn't call it VTEC, just variable valve timing. The only difference between honda's VTEC and other variable valve timing applications is that VTEC was developed for high performance, where as others VVT were for gas saving and queer shit like that. Pop open a corrolas hood, it says right there on the Valve cover,"VVTi." and yeah it has been around for a long while.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Nov 13 2003, 07:48 PM
no vtec was made for performance, i think i-tec was made for economy, I dunno there was some special kind of vtec that was meant for economy though

economy vtec was to make the engine purposely burn lean to get better fuel economy....something like that i forget..

Back