Honda History

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

VTEC is performance. I VTEC is 90% performance related.

VTEC -e in the 92-95 VX and the 96-00 HX was a fuel sipping tree hugger version of VTEC.

Originally posted by NoJokE+Nov 13 2003, 08:45 PM-->
@Nov 13 2003, 08:29 PM
the B16 came out in 89, so that was when vtec was put in production cars.  it was first developed by Honda's F1 team before that i belive.

Not being an ass, but isnt vtec for fuel economy first and foremost? So why would F1 be using that technology?

VTEC is there for one simple reason:

"It turns out that there is significant relationship between the way the lobes are ground on the camshaft and the way the engine performs in different rpm (rotations per minute) ranges. To understand why this is the case, imagine that we are running an engine extremely slowly -- at just 10 or 20 rpm, so it takes the piston seconds to complete a cycle. It would be impossible to actually run a normal engine this slowly, but imagine that we could. We would want to grind the camshaft so that, just as the piston starts moving downward in the intake stroke, the intake valve would open. The intake valve would close right as the piston bottoms out. Then the exhaust valve would open right as the piston bottoms out at the end of the combustion stroke and would close as the piston completes the exhaust stroke. That would work great for the engine as long as it ran at this very slow speed.

When you increase the rpm, however, this configuration for the camshaft does not work well. If the engine is running at 4,000 rpm, the valves are opening and closing 2,000 times every minute, or thirty to fourty times every second. When the intake valve opens right at the top of the intake stroke, it turns out that the piston has a lot of trouble getting the air moving into the cylinder in the short time available (a fraction of a second). Therefore, at higher rpm ranges you want the intake valve to open prior to the intake stroke -- actually back in the exhaust stroke -- so that by the time the piston starts moving downward in the intake stroke, the valve is open and air moves freely into the cylinder during the entire intake stroke. This is something of a simplification, but you get the idea. For maximum engine performance at low engine speeds, the valves need to open and close differently than they do at higher engine speeds. If you put in a good low-speed camshaft, it hurts the engine's performance at high speeds, and if you put in a good high-speed camshaft it hurts the engine's performance at low speeds (and in extreme cases can make it very hard to start the engine!)."

courtesy of howstuffworks.com (too lazy to write up my own thing on it)

WOW, look at this from the Honda .jp site, a 1983 Civic prototype:

018-019_01.JPG

i kind feel the need for a :where'sthewoodtrim: emoticon.

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal+Nov 13 2003, 09:52 PM-->
92civicb18b1
@Nov 13 2003, 08:16 PM
I think honda brought there cars into this country in 1975,

I owned a '74 hatch. The really tiny 600 series were a few years earlier. So maybe the first ones were in 72, maybe in 71.

Nope honda imported cars in the Mid 60's. My dad had a honda s800. There first production car was the s600. The "orginal" plans was an s500, but it was just not powerful enough. The early S's were all basicly a motorcylce engine bolted on to a car. They reved 10k+, were chain driven, and looked great.

Screw old civics

Look at this whats up with these honda hoods/trunks? (I know i should be calling it the trunk) :spin:

photo05.jpg
Check out that misspell ford liscense plate.

Originally posted by DarkHand@Nov 14 2003, 09:55 AM
WOW, look at this from the Honda .jp site, a 1983 Civic prototype:

018-019_01.JPG

it looks like a clash of the 3rd 4th and 5th gens

I would rock that concept car :)

US imported Hondas starting in 1968. The 200 and 600 came in then. Then in 73.5 Honda California brought in the CVCC 800, with CVCC the valves provide a swirl for intake and exhaust.

VTEC was made by the Formula team to broaden the powerbands on it's F1 car. A 1.6 liter V12 turbo motor built by Mugen / Honda. VTEC was seen in the B16A in Japan in 1989, but not in the US until the NSX. Acura was a company set up in the US so Honda could sell upscale car trims without the Honda logo on them. Remember, in 1989 Americans were protesting Japanese made things, with a huge "Buy American" slogan. This went all the way to Congress, who began placing huge tariffs and rules on Japanese imports. After a while, Congress was so bold to put huge restrictions on car NAMES. Instead of an "East asian import" they would say the brand directly "Honda".

The NSX wasn't allowed on US roads because of it's small headlights. The law passed down was that "Honda" would not bring the NSX in. So Acura did.

The US lawmakers were pissed that Honda had "Found loopholes and circumvented" them. The truth being, Honda was doing whatever it could to work WITHIN the guidelines and get their cars here. over 60% of NSXs were sold to banks as assets and never driven. They remain that way to this day.

in 1990 the US sat down and worked up the toughest anti-importing schemes ever. That's why in 1990 you won't find an MR2, RX7 coupe, or other notable japanese imports. Safety ratings and even layout ratings prevented these cars from seeing US soil until a major redesign. Mazda, Toyota, Honda, and Mitsubishi saw major design changes from 1990-1993. Korean makers like DAEWOO and other East Asians like Hyundai weren't making the changes - And it nearly cost them their business. By 1992 the companies were back on the same page with the US.

Note, that US companies in this time didn't have to adhere to the same safety standards that the Japanese did. This was to be their ultimate undoing.

When Honda brought the newly-safety engineered Odysee to the US, it claimed the very thing that the US made it claim - "The safest Minivan in the world". Toyota Camrys and Honda Accords were also tagged with this. The result is that Japanese were now selling cars double, even triple fold over US cars. They were getting better mileage, lasting longer and proved that smaller didn't mean less comfortable nor less safe.

In 1992 Honda made the move to incorporate VTEC in it's second generation (mild differences in controller) (correct me if I'm wrong here) into two strange choices. The Prelude (Then flagship car of the Honda lineup) and the lower-end Civic Si. To incorporate a cutting edge system into a flagship car is common - But no one expected the Civic to get VTEC. Now Honda dominated the market segments with the Accord, the Civic and the Odyssee. A trend that continues 10 years later.

Honda is NOT the only maker with a variable valve timing system. Each manufacturer has had similar designs since the Studebaker memory-metal springs that would stop contracting after a certain temperature to avoid valve lash. We're talking like, early 60's tech. Toyota had TVIS, which drew in more air lower RPMS and allowed for more efficient high-RPM fuel mixing. Toyota now uses it's VVTL system, which works in a mechanical sense to change the cam attitude. Fords Ecotec valve management uses a VTEC-like cam lobe, but ONLY affects the exhaust cam.

Now Nissan has a neat system, called "NEO-VVL". NEO VVL works like VTEC (It selects a new cam profile). But it also solenoids the cam up and down (ala Toyota's VVTL) Resulting in a triple cam power band. Imagine VTEC then "Super VTEC".

All of this stuff is "Basically said" and I'm sure I'm not correct on several points. But it's a basis to read up on.

-> Steve

few things to add to Celerity, In 92, the civic EX, and VX also had VTEC, although the VX was more for gas millage.

Here is some info about hondas first production car http://www.hondas600.com/

The first civic was in 72

October, 1989 - The CR-X SiR is released in Japan with its newly developed 1.6liter DOHC VTEC engine.

THE FACE OF JAPANESE AUTOMOTIVE PERFORMANCE WOULD FOREVER BE CHANGED.
:worthy: X 1google

long live the B-series!

Back