Honda Jet's "Secret" Flight

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Airjockie

Watanabe Whore!!!
Rest In Peace
Try as you might, it's hard to keep the first flight of a new airplane secret, but give Honda full marks for trying. The automotive giant's foray into the bizjet market flew for about an hour from its not-so-secret development facility at Aero Atlantic's FBO at Greensboro-Peidmont Triad International Airport (GSO) last Wednesday. And although the flight has been widely reported, Honda and the various entities involved have clearly been sworn to secrecy about the milestone. "Tell them I referred you to Honda," said a slightly bemused Don Godwin, CEO of Atlantic Aero. Honda's official spokesman Jeffrey Smith didn't return a phone message left by AVweb. Word (anonymously, of course) is that Wednesday's hop was a shakedown in advance of the official rollout that could happen later this week or next. The jet has an odd engine configuration, with the Honda-developed mills resting atop wing-mounted pylons. This makes way for a roomier cabin. Earlier, Honda announced the eight-passenger jet would gross out at 9,200 pounds, cruise at 420 knots up to 44,000 feet and have an IFR range of 1,100 nm.

Honda is in the initial planning stages of building a jet similar in size to Cessna's CJ1. This aircraft is planned to have metal wings and empennage (tail assembly) with a composite fuselage. Honda will be developing its own engine for the aircraft that will have a thrust similar to the Williams FJ44-1, but is expected to have improved fuel efficiency, a high thrust-to-weight ratio, and Honda reliability.

Looks like I might need to go get a job for Honda now...

Well, the wife has been telling me about it for a while...she knew about it for a while, I just never looked until it just made my AVweb newsletter...now I'm stoked.

This first thing that comes to my mind is....

WHERE CAN I GET THE MOUNT KIT TO SWAP IT INTO MY CIVIC! :ph34r:

just looks like any other plane to me... cept with the jet engiens on top of the wing.

I'm at work, no Photoshop.. but dang I want to see a picture of one of those jet engines in/on top of/behind a Civic :)

Whats with the engines over the top? Seems to me that with the engines at that angle, that they provide a high amount of downward thrust... Hmmmm...

The nose is very long, and appears to have a great aerodynamic to it, but from the size of the plane, I think a dual turboprop would be a better setup, dont you clayton?

wow, a honda that actually needs a huge-ass wing.

but here's the real question....

do they make euros for it?

Originally posted by h22bubbleback+Dec 8 2003, 02:26 PM-->
Green92HatchDX
@Dec 8 2003, 12:01 PM
does it have vtec?

HAHA

Hehe, I didn't even see that comment. :)

Would be funny though:

'Ladies and Gentlemen, we're now at full throttle, taking off and heading towards Dallas. I know the engines sound different right now but don't worry, we just hit VTEC. Should be a calm flight, we don't expect to meet up with any ricers looking to drag fly. Hopefully we won't get pestered by the cops about the altezzas. Sit back and enjoy your flight.'

Originally posted by ScrapinSi@Dec 8 2003, 03:26 PM
Whats with the engines over the top? Seems to me that with the engines at that angle, that they provide a high amount of downward thrust... Hmmmm...

The nose is very long, and appears to have a great aerodynamic to it, but from the size of the plane, I think a dual turboprop would be a better setup, dont you clayton?

Turboprop's VS. Jet engine....

Granted they both run on a turbine, but the Weight to power ratio...goes to the Jets.... and less moving parts to worry about. Economically speaking..turboprop engines consume less, but need to work harder...but it is up to the designer on how he feels the aircraft should be propelled....me, I prefer jets, simple little engines...turbo props have way to many parts to inspect and maintain. Cost wize..the jets are more exspencive.

The only problem that I see with the top mounted jet design is the fact that the fuel system will have to run at higher pressure inorder to feed those babies (because they are above the tanks in the wings for those of you who don't work at the airport...) I can't wait for Paul Allen to buy one of these and fly into my FBO.

On a side point, how many of you guys are connected with the Aviation industry on this board?

:wave:

If you count the fact that I fly at least 1-2 times a month... :) And that I used to be big into planes when I was younger.

EDIT: And btw... I also agree with your statements on the fuel pressure that will be needed... But it isn't that difficult... After all, MD makes planes with the 3rd engine mounted in the aft of the plane, above the fuselage.

Originally posted by DarkHand@Dec 8 2003, 01:55 PM
'Ladies and Gentlemen, we're now at full throttle, taking off and heading towards Dallas. I know the engines sound different right now but don't worry, we just hit VTEC. Should be a calm flight, we don't expect to meet up with any ricers looking to drag fly. Hopefully we won't get pestered by the cops about the altezzas. Sit back and enjoy your flight.'

Fucking hilarious. Don't forget the NAWZ buttons that the pilot has on the stick in case the flight is delayed.

Originally posted by ScrapinSi@Dec 8 2003, 03:16 PM
:wave:

If you count the fact that I fly at least 1-2 times a month... :) And that I used to be big into planes when I was younger.

EDIT: And btw... I also agree with your statements on the fuel pressure that will be needed... But it isn't that difficult... After all, MD makes planes with the 3rd engine mounted in the aft of the plane, above the fuselage.

Ya, but another bad thing will be that the engine will be efficient, and my work makes their money off of inefficient jet motors!!!!

Back