Honda or Current car?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

donthamon

Hey I'm stuck in between getting a Honda, or keeping my current car, a 2000 mustsng sohc 4.6l, it has a few bolt ons but worth about 5 grand, I have another car for sale that I will be selling and getting 4 grand.
My question is should I keep my mustang and build it up or should I sell it and put 9 grand into a honda? I'm extremely stuck because I love my current car, it is also my first car, but im stuck between those 2 options, could someone help me choose what the best option would be?

Btw The mustang has a few bolt ons, big ass tires, nice rims, good tune, and a loud exhaust

Ford will bite you after a while. Those transmissions have issues. Going from a RWD v8 to a fwd (probably) I4 will be a big change but for that money You could probably get into something K Series (RSX, 06-09 Civic). I prefer imports but my daily driver is a Ford Explorer with the same 4.6L. It's on it's 2nd rebuild of the transmission and still has issues at 132k miles. Hondas are fun to work on though (imo) and mods/support are prevalent. Ultimately you need to drive some stuff and just see what you like. That's the best advice I can give you.

what do you want out of a car
what is your intended use for the car
what are your end goals for the car

if you love your current car why would you want to get rid of it for something that is just about 100% opposite of it

if you are in love with your mustang, but want to get in to a honda why not take a portion of the $4k and put it in to a cheap reliable fuel efficient daily driver so you can keep miles and wear off your toy

What I want is 450 flywheel horsepower or 300hp to the ground for the civic, and for the Mustang I'd want about 500 hp, it's just a hard decision lol, because I really want to build up a Honda with a high budget of 9 grand, but the mustang I'd only have 4 grand

Last edited:
Both of those hp numbers don't make much sense for a dd car. It really depends on what you plan on doing with it. Do you want to drive to work/school or are you building a track monster?

as a DD car i want to be able to take it to the track with the same tune and run consistent 12's or below, if its too much power I can just change down the tune a bit,
basically i want to be able to run 12's or below in which ever car i choose to go with,
My mustang now has about 200hp to the wheels and i ran a 14.2 at the drag strip with it already, but I'm really considering a honda because of how damn cheap they are compared to building a mustang... but the thing is with the mustang id only be able to put $4,000 dollars into it but if i got a honda id be able to put $9,000 dollars into it excluding the car price, around me there are tons of H22A swaps for low costs. I found a couple with LSD Gsr trans, and a H22A engine in the car with some other goodies for $2500.
I'm very indecisive, I just honestly can't decide and I thought it would be good to get others point of views on what you would do in the similar situation.
Thank you so much for the responses

Sell the one for $4000 and buy a Honda with that money. Drive it for a couple of weeks to see how it feels to you then sell the Mustang and start dumping money into it.

for 9 grand, you can buy a turn key SFWD built "race" car that runs 11s or less all day, on slicks, and race gas.

horrid daily driver though.

Back