Hondaswap Challange

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Capt. Orygun

Win the Day
I drove past a gas station today and almost went on a shooting rampage.

Gas is out of control, I'd love to buy a Chevy spark, but I don't live in India. Making an Electric car that gets 60 miles/tank could eliminate 80% of my fuel usage.

We have some brainiacs on here, so lets put our heads together.

here's my very basic idea

this Chassis

Volkswagen Beetle information, specifications, history, and images. High Resolution, Wallpapers, Destop Images.

This electric motor

General Electric 100 HP Industrail Motors (Corry Enterprises, United States)

it's a 100HP motor, turns about 1,800 RPM

so

you'd need a peddle assembly that could sense a range in throttle, but would you need a transmission? If the thing can do 65MPH you win

anybody wanna brain storm? Or am I in left field?

starting with a VW chassis is asking for electrical problems..... and well, you don't want electrical problems in an electric car :D

if gas is too much for you, stop driving, take the bus, or whatever.

$3 a gallon vs $2 a gallon is about 500 bucks a year difference in life for the average person.
i've blown more on strippers in much less than in a year.

The Marathon Blue Chop XRI motor is a DC motor that's available in a 100HP variety

but I'm having trouble finding a website that sells them

and the Bug could be insulated. That thing weights 1500lbs max as a rolling chassis once engine, tranny, etc are removed. If you can find something simpler and lighter I'm game

it also has to be old enough to bypass safety other type federal/state standards

or snag an 85-87 CRX hf...and rebuild it with a cryo'ed motor...and tap 100 mpg. It can be done....stock they make 54 mpg...run it super lean..

nope I want sideways 8 miles per gallon, electric motors are simple, this can't be that hard.

and I said I want to be able to drive to work without using gas, no ride to work. Fuck the bus

EDIT: Don't think about ways around it, think about ways to do it

Last edited:
When I was in high school we had a EV car that came in first in the EV car contest. IIRC, it had the stock pedal assembly connected to a controller with the throttle cable. The system voltage was 96V and used the stock 4spd transmission(no clutch though) with adapter plate.

Edit: It could've been a rheostat with a throttle wheel on it.

Last edited:
Just get a moped. I hear they're great on gas.

fat-moped.jpg

i run 93 in my cars, drive less or if you have a car with a big motor that you drive everyday buy a geo to utilize your gas, just my opinion.

Then whats the Hondaswap challenge if your using a VW???

because I'm challenging Honda swap and it's members to help me come up with a rough design. You idoits tall all kinds of Calc and Physics gibberish, we can easliy make this happen

The real challenge is getting Silver to spell challenge.

JK. I would love an electric car. Maybe I should've converted my CVCC to electric. I'm sure with minimal fabrication skills it could be done, electric cars are so much more simple. Fewer moving parts FTW.

that's my point, it shouldn't be hard or really expensive once you figure that pluggin it in at night would cost you ten cents on the dollar for gas

the reason America doesn't have electric cars yet is because all the major auto makers are taking there sweet ass time. A couple "civilian" designs come out and all of a sudden they'll want to play

one of your tires is flat...just an FYI....

Why not a hybrid of some sort? Like the Micra in Japan. The part that uses the most gas is accleration; the Micra uses a e-4wd system that uses a electric motor in the back to help it accelerate, then it cuts off(has a electric clutch I believe) once you start cruising. With this, you can use a 1l engine or something.

The electric cars are heavy btw. My CRX DX weighed much less than our school's mid-80s (1985 I think) Ford EXP. The motor wasn't that heavy, but it is the batteries that weigh it down.

Back