HondaSwap Newbie H23 to H22

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hillmw

the commish (h23 to h22)
I have a 1993 Prelude. I'm swapping from a H23A1 to a H22A1. I have the engine and ecu and I hear that I'll need to wire the VTEC.

2 questions:

1) does anyone know of the article on here that tells me what to do?

2) is there anything else I need to be worried about or do?

Any help would be really cool.

Mike

put in the motor and wire VTEC, done.

You have the simplest swap. Refer to my guide at the top of this forum. Read the part about where to put the wires. You already have knock, and IAB, so don't worry about them. Install your new ECU at the same time. Use your H23 harness.

yes i was hoping for the easiest. About the wiring, is it under the link titled "H22a Swap FAQ's" and then "Accord Chassis with H22 Engine - Tech - Sport"?

btw, i was reading about the manual tensioner. since i still have the H23 can I still the parts from it and not have to buy any other parts?

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
yep you can, that is what I did, however, while your in there, it would be a smart idea to buy a new timing belt and water pump. The timing belt on the H23 is small and the water pump has a diffrent amount of teeth.

what about the wiring? There was an article about wiring the vtec but the links are broken.

Can you fix them? Is this the article tab ws talking about?

https://hondaswap.com/general-tech-articles/how-wire-vtec-40811/

we just moved servers and changed to vBulletin, so most of the pics in there dont work, luckily, the one that really matters still works.

the wires you need to run are the black, the orange, and the blue. I dont think i had to wire the secondary intake runner or the knock on my swap.

you really do have the easiest swap in the honda universe.

Last edited:
ok, thanks for that. Glad it is going to be easy.

I am taking the engine for sodablasting tomorrow and then in the car it goes!!

On the H22 I can see the new sensors. So I'll just have to run some new wires along the harness to the ECU and connect them as appropriate, right?

yep, except the black wire that gets grounded to the motor. The blue wire goes to the ECU.

Here's my sodablasting pics. I got the engine/trans sodablasted here: www.atozsbs.com

before:
H22_before_soda_f.jpg

after:
H22_after_soda_f.jpg

Also, Any comments about what I found under my Valve Cover and the plugs.
H22_before_cover_inside2.jpg

plugs
H22_plugs.jpg

Last edited:
cant tell for sure, but it looks like the seals for your spark plugs are broken.

the seals for my plugs? you mean the ones under the valve cover? that wouldn't make the tips black.

looks like wet deopsits to me. I'm hoping that i don't have oil gettiing past the valves or the rings. If so i'm going to be very pissed.....

H22's run rich, and those could be old fouled spark plugs. Put in a new set and check them periodically.

Your valve cover was blasted also right? You're gonna want to seal it somehow. Wax, paint, etc. I polished my old one by hand(don't do this unless you have a crack dealer), and a few months later it started corroding slightly. The polished cover looks great, but I should have clearcoated it right away.

Since I live in Texas I bought some (spark plugs) for a hotter than normal climate. It will be 104 today. I'm wondering about the winter months though if I need to get some other ones and put in from Nov thru Feb.

Yes I sand blasted it and it looks very cool that color. What if I just clear coated it?

Also, I painted the exhaust cover black. I think the heat will burn it up. Is there some compound that you think I can apply that will keep it nice?

Last edited:
the plugs in there were: PZFR6F.

My spec says these are for "normal driving"
also says "For hot climates" use PFR7G-11. Since I am n Fort Worth I had ordered these. Picking them up today.

BTW, I got my engine there in Dallas, in Garland.

garland....jotech or intercrew?

you wont notice much of a problem with the winters we have around here. if you notice any kind of detonation, switch to the 6 heats.

Honestly, I would have your valve cover clearcoated or powdercoated. The exhaust cover should be powdercoated with ceramic, or at the very least, use high temp paint.

Paint on exhaust doesn't look good for long.

Back