Hondaswap skiers and riders...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

My friend and I decided to hit up southern/central VT instead of going to Lake Placid (more snow). I was looking into Killington, Okemo, and Stratton. Anyone have experience with those mountains, or recommend something else in the vicinity. We could care less about a family friendly atmosphere, and care more for decent difficult terrain if that helps.

I skied Killington when I was little. My dad still goes up every year.

Never been to Okemo but a friend of mine literally moved to the base of it this year. Can't stop talking about it. I think I'm going to go up there during spring break.

Both awesome mountains...Killington has 9 peaks...ZOMFG

I was at Mountain Creek yesterday. Finally found some friends to hit up the terrain park. Holy hell of a lot of stuff. They say it's the best on the East Coast. Literally rails, jumps, and boxes from the top of the mountain until the bottom.

Finally heading to Whiteface this weekend. Looks like I picked a good one too. They reported 14" this morning, and it snowed hard all day on top of that and it's not supposed to stop till Saturday. Gonna be there Sat-Tues.

I have an Okemo trip planned for spring break. Also going to stop by Camel Back during the week.

Skied Whiteface on Sunday and Monday. Couldn't of picked a better weekend. 40"+ the last few days, and it was sunny and in the low 30's during our stay. Unbelievable conditions. I hit pretty much everything. Glades, the slides, all the narrow steeps. It was sick. Better than my trips out west the last couple of years.

100_0358.jpg

100_0348.jpg

Gotta love starting a run above the clouds, and finishing below.
100_0352.jpg

100_0388.jpg

Brother and I on Little Whiteface
DSCF0457.jpg

The brother in the trees
100_0381.jpg

DSCF0459.jpg

DSCF0520.jpg

Skied Whiteface on Sunday and Monday. Couldn't of picked a better weekend. 40"+ the last few days, and it was sunny and in the low 30's during our stay. Unbelievable conditions. I hit pretty much everything. Glades, the slides, all the narrow steeps. It was sick. Better than my trips out west the last couple of years.

Gotta love starting a run above the clouds, and finishing below.
100_0352.jpg
Wow I miss that view. I had to skip my Whiteface trip this year. But I have Okemo this weekend.

So I spent last weekend in VT. Towards the end of the day on Sunday I tried out a friend's board and realized something. Mines a piece of crap. So, what do you guys have that you really like?

I was set on getting some toe strap bindings but them came across Flow. Those are some sweet ass bindings. But I don't know. Figured I'd get some opinions. Right now I'm thinking of going with a complete set-up from Flow, Ride, or K2.

Also going to finally cave and get a helmet. Anything I should stay away from?

And lastly, goggles, have an old set I love but I'm starting to realize I need different lenses for different conditions. Doubt they still make replacements. How hard do you think it is to make a few different ones? What kind of plastic are they even made out of?

Last edited:
High end goggles usually have interchangeable lenses. I stick with the $25 pairs, so I leave them "stock". I don't know shit about snowboards, but my roommate has flow bindings, and he loves em. They just feel solid and really well made. Like comparing a snap-on ratchet wrench to a craftsman.

How did Okemo treat you? It's been really warm, did they have decent coverage?

Great coverage considering. Only hit one patch of grass/dirt and one rock. Both on an ungroomed double diamond.

It's been awhile since I boarded with people on my level. I was winded by the end of each run. Usually I go for a little, wait for everyone, and go again. But it was nice.

Also landed a frontside 180 indy and a backside 360. A great weekend.

Sounds like a blast. It's a little depressing that the season is winding down:( On the bright side, it's been nice being able to drive with the windows down.

I rocked Flow bindings for a few years until some jackass stole them.

At first I thought they sucked because the boots I had didn't fit them very well, but once I got boots that worked well with them, I realized how awesome they are. I definitely recommend them with one caveat: Make sure your boots are tapered from the ankle all the way to the toe. If the boots flare out at all at the toe end, the flow bindings won't work well. They tighten the "straps" by pushing the boot forward, so if you have to leave the straps open to clear the toe, it won't fit tight on the middle of the boot, and they will feel loose. If you tighten them, you won't be able to clear the toe and you won't be able to get them on and off easily. If the profile of your boots is shaped like this:
url

With the boots taper ending before the toe, then they probably won't work well with Flow's. But if the profile is like this:
phaseboot_big.jpg

With the taper going all the way to the toe, you'll get even tightness across the top of your foot, ensuring proper support.

So I spent last weekend in VT. Towards the end of the day on Sunday I tried out a friend's board and realized something. Mines a piece of crap. So, what do you guys have that you really like?

I was set on getting some toe strap bindings but them came across Flow. Those are some sweet ass bindings. But I don't know. Figured I'd get some opinions. Right now I'm thinking of going with a complete set-up from Flow, Ride, or K2.

Also going to finally cave and get a helmet. Anything I should stay away from?

And lastly, goggles, have an old set I love but I'm starting to realize I need different lenses for different conditions. Doubt they still make replacements. How hard do you think it is to make a few different ones? What kind of plastic are they even made out of?

I ride the K2 Cinch bindings and LOVE them. I acutally just bought a new set two weekends ago on sale. I got the new CTC's which were an upgrade over my four year old CTL. I have tried the Flows and just didn't like them as much as the K2's but to each their own.

I wear Vans Contra BOA boots which are comfy as hell after I got them packed in. I would highly recommend getting a BOA system as it literally takes me 30 seconds to get into my boots. You can get a single strand or a double zone/strand system these days.

As for a board I have a Ride Yukon simply because it was half off and a wider board for my size 14 boots but I like it for the groomed trails and it kicks ass in powder.

My wife got me a pair of Spy Soldier goggles for my birthday a couple of years ago with a smoked and clear lens for day/night riding. They are super nice so I take care of them.

You didn't ask but I wear sessions pants, a Burton Poacher jacket and Oakley mitts on the hill as well. I have gotten 90% of my gear from www.the-house.com which I found to have just about the cheapest prices around for packages and they get me my stuff within two days of ordering since I live in WI and they are located in MN. Customer service is awesome but if something on their site has a high sellout risk I would give them a call vs. ordering online to make sure they have it. Seriously check them out if you are looking for a total package.

I have the Flow Pro 11's. I love them!

I would look at a Lib Tech. Few friends have them and swear by them. That will be my next board.

i have a set of Oakley goggles, i'm happy with them, they rarely fog up on me and you can get different lenses for them.

You didn't ask but I wear sessions pants, a Burton Poacher jacket and Oakley mitts on the hill as well. I have gotten 90% of my gear from www.the-house.com which I found to have just about the cheapest prices around for packages and they get me my stuff within two days of ordering since I live in WI and they are located in MN. Customer service is awesome but if something on their site has a high sellout risk I would give them a call vs. ordering online to make sure they have it. Seriously check them out if you are looking for a total package.
I came across The House Snowboards Snowboard Boots Bindings Clothing while randomly browsing. Looks sweet. But they don't have Flow packages which is what I'm leaning towards. I'll either piece one together from them or piece it together from a few different sources.

The rest of my gear is mostly Burton. I want the pants they made for the Olympic team.

My goggles are Smith Scope Pro. But they are older. They have a double lens were as the new ones are only a single lens. Well I got moisture between the two so I pulled them apart and I'm just using the outside one. We'll see how it holds up. I'll probably get a new set with a few lens options for next season.

I came across The House Snowboards Snowboard Boots Bindings Clothing while randomly browsing. Looks sweet. But they don't have Flow packages which is what I'm leaning towards. I'll either piece one together from them or piece it together from a few different sources.

The rest of my gear is mostly Burton. I want the pants they made for the Olympic team.

My goggles are Smith Scope Pro. But they are older. They have a double lens were as the new ones are only a single lens. Well I got moisture between the two so I pulled them apart and I'm just using the outside one. We'll see how it holds up. I'll probably get a new set with a few lens options for next season.

I would suggest calling them and talking to rep. They are a small locally owned company that soley cares about riding and making their customers happy. I am sure they would be more than willing to work something out with you if you told them you were going to be buying a board, boots and bindings from them. I happened to come across them about ten years ago when I was looking for new bindings for my old board. I actually bought a pair of their own company brand bindings modeled after the preston bindings sold that year. They were half the price and almost identical in quality. In fact my brother still uses them to this day. I go there every time I am in the twin cities just to look around. They have an upstairs area there with closeout gear that is stupid cheap. I almost bought a sessions jacket last year that was 260.00 marked down to like 95.00. The only reason I didn't was because I had just gotten by Burton Poacher jacket a month before. I am still kicking myself for not getting it though.

Getting to that time of the year!!!!!!!!!!!

This cold weather has me daydreaming of skiing. I just bought airline tickets for Jan 8-12 in Colorado. Can't decide where to go yet. Vail? Breck? Copper? :D

Back