Hondata or AEM plug & play

Which would you buy and why?

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Fastciv

Hope this is not a repost, but this seems to be my next upgrade.
My tuner says to get AEM...but he is an AEM dealer. I hear more about Hondata on this and other boards. What do you guys think?

i use hondata, but i would get aem if given the opportunity to do over... the aem wasn't out when i got hondata.

I like my Hondata- but I've never played with the AEM system before. All I've heard about the AEM system is negative, but then again- all the places I've been to never really knew how to use it either. I don't know how "plug and play" the system really is either.

So for me, Hondata is the choice. It's easy enough for me.

I'd way the cost difference between the two, hondata is like 250-300, how much is the AEM system?

Why don't you tell us more about your application?

I'd say neither for a NA application or a low boost (<10psi) application - DIY tools :)

Thanks for the input,
the car is a 93 hatch with a b16a2, CAI, S2 mani, and AEM gears. I plan to turbo it in the future, but not sure how soon. I currently am putting down 153WHP, 107 TQ and I would like to get around 200WHP. The AEM system costs like $2,000, and that is a complete stand alone system. The s200 Hondata starts out around $250 and then it costs extra for upgrades for data logger, boost control, etc. By the time you are done, it would be similar in cost. I don't know too much about either one, but I have heard lots of good things about Hondata and nothing about AEM (good or bad)....hmmmm maybe that is a sign... :unsure:

the AEM for your needs is overkill ... but if you dont have anyone around that tunes hondata it might be your best choice

The hondata setup ends up being in the same ballpark as the AEM if you also get the hardware and software you need to program it yourself. If you have a Hondata dealer nearby, this probably isn't a problem. But the AEM is built from the ground up to be fully programmable, you don't need to purchase other "stuff" to do it. The AEM is definitely not plug and play, at least some tweaking will be required to get your car fired up unless its completely stock or is similar to one of the provided base maps. It is difficult (read: large learning curve) to just plug it in and start programming. It takes a lot of playing and reading to get things setup just the way you want them. In my case, its Hondata on the Honda, and AEM on the DSM. Though I have used an AEM on a Honda as well. I have my reservations about both systems, but they both do their job pretty well. You can find the AEM for sub-$1400 shipped, ask me if you want to know where. You'll need a laptop or someone else to tune it to get your car running correctly, though.

the aem doesn't cost 2g's.
its 1100 for most applications, 1300 for the expensive ones.

hondata may seem liek it doesn't come with everything- but frankly, you don't need it.

all you NEED is the s200 series unit (about 295) and boost (since you plan to run boost with it, about 195). that's it.
everything else, your DEALER needs to tune it. if you don't plan to tune it yourself, and frankly, i wouldn't recommend it. other than that, you need to chip your ecu (65 bucks) or get one of their p28s pre-chipped and soldered and cover cut (250 i think)

400-650 bucks or 1100

your choice.

aem's software has gone through at least 5 revisions since i've heard of it. hondata, is on its first revision, with 1 aditional update to its rom editor. hondata came out first.
you make a decision from there. and by revision, i don't mean new features - i mean software updates cuz shit broke or didn't work right.

Frankly, most tuners i know prefer hondata. its faster to tune (read, less hour $$$$ on the dyno), comes with base maps that should be kinda close to yoru setup to get you running (or deal with aem's excuse for a base map... and have to tune your car in your garage before you even leave just to get the fucker started), and have all kinds of useless features that you will never use.

Originally posted by aem's site
We always make available base maps to help you get started. They are what you need to start your car, get a basic idle, make you're A/C work and more.

i REALLY want to know what honda ecu runs a/c .... really, i do.

other than a built in boost controller (which frankly, other external units do a better job of), the aem has NO features the hondata doesn't have. (Fast civ, hondata does not have boost control, as it is NOT part of the factory ecu systeml)

My choice, if it isn't clear by now, is the hondata. I did a lot of research on tis when i was making the choice for my setup. i have no regrets either.

Be that as it may, and all this said- ANY system is only as good as YOUR TUNER can make it. Pick one your tuner knows, or find a tuner who knows what you want to use.

TUNE IT YOURSELF!!! You can do so much more if you're willing to use your own brain instead of paying others to have used theirs.

The EF1 EK Civic made 200 WHP from a NA JDM B16 with aggressive cams, kick ass header, and standard bolt-ons running stock 81mm bore and OEM USDM pistons with a chipped P28. See special projects of EF-1.com

You can get a wideband for around the same price as a base hondata. ($300-350) You can get a ROM burner for less than $100. You can get a EGT probe for less than $60. You can get a 29C256 EPROM that you can reuse over and over for $5. What is the value of being able to tune your own car? decide for yourself.

Oh yeah, if you want to make some new friends and exercise your brain, wander to http://www.pgmfi.org

Back