1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HONDATA STAGE 2/3/4 or convert to OBD1?

Discussion in 'ECU's, Electronics, and Tuning' started by hybrid89, Jul 10, 2003.

1. hybrid89

hybrid89 thistownsucks...

Since I am going to be completly rebuilding my Crx, pretty much from the ground up, I have been looking at different engine management. Currently I am running A B16A1 with a PR3 ECU (Mugen chipped) and a Apexi VAFC. I am very intersted in a Hondata system, but I know that if I stay with OBD 0 that I am stuck with and older Stage 2/3/4 system. If I am going to spend the money on a whole new setup, I was wondering if it would be worth converting to OBD 1 so I could run the newer s200 setup. Oh yeah, I am going to be putting in an LS/Vtec with a B18a bottom end(eagle rods/CTR pistons) and a GSR head (fully ported/polished/full Skunk2 valve train/intake manifold)MSD 6AL. I know that my compression ratio is in the mid/high 12's:1 range. I am very worried about knocking and pinging so i want all the tunning I can get. Or will I be wasting my time and money on a Hondata and/or converting OBD's? Or will the VAFC be sufficent? any help is greatly appriciated. I am hoiping the pissedoffsol could shed some light. I know you know 'bout Hondata.

Matt :unsure:

2. hybrid89

hybrid89 thistownsucks...

bump

3. blundar

blundar Senior Member

Hondata make a quality product. If you want good support and proven tools and are willing to pay for it, I can't recommend it enough.

If cash is more of a concern to you, I'd head your ass over to http://pgmfi.org and look at what some of your fellow enthusiasts have been doing.

BTW, converting to OBD1 will be a great thing to do if you can stomach the wiring and distributor shit. OBD1 electronics run vtec motors much better than OBD0 in my experience.

4. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Using the older Stages with Hondata is just fine. If you really want to convert to OBD1 to use the newer features of the S200, go ahead. I ran a VAFC with a B20/VTEC in the high 12s for compression, and it was fine. Another solution you might want to look into is GhettoDyne. It's a Hondata style system geared for non-OBD Hondas, and it's free.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted