Hondata tuning questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

crome is free.
crome pro is 150 bucks, and that adds datalogging features and so forth.

hondata s200 hasn't been updated in like 4 years now.
the latest crome build is only a few months old.

I had hondata s200. i've tuned with it. hell, i ran it on my turbo del sol.
i've tuned 5 other cars with it that aren't mine.
i sold it all, and now tune obd1 honda's exclusively with crome.

ask anyone on here who i've helped tune... be it a basemap for vtecin5th or tuning megasquirt on neonmike's turbo neon, i would like to think i know what i'm doing. :p
and in my professional opinion after tuning 10-20 cars, I find crome to be the better solution, not only for the money, but for the tune.

dont get me wrong im not a tuner...and im not challenging you as one. i guess it all comes down to preferences...my tuner prefers hondata...uses it in his all motor kseries (11.16), a 11.96 all motor b lsvtec, and a b series turbo (10.63) so it can be that bad....those are just the cars that i know of

the kpro is great. the s200 will not run a k-motor. so that doesn't even apply.

it's not bad. i never said that.

it's just old, outdated, and superior software with better features exists for a lower total cost. buying an s200 system is not something one should consider, UNLESS that is what their tuner is most comfortable with..... or is trying to make a better buck off you.

what's the superior features with crome? i happen to like the full throttle shift and launch control that the S200 offer, and i didnt see crome copying that. ..maybe i missed it tho. granted i havnt hooked my S200 up yet, but from the research i dont think it leaves anything to be desired. enlighten me w/ insight! :huh:

can you add a plug-in to the s200? no.
can you add anything you ever wanted via crome's plugin system? yes. and plenty exist for download on pgmfi.org.

crome has FTS and launch

and once again, it all comes down to price.

s200 Pricing and Options
The base price for the s200 is $295 This allows the ECU to be tuned by a dealer or anyone with ROM Editor V3 and a programmer. You will need a base program (ROM) for your vehicle/engine/ECU which you can get from your dealer.
Price Description $295 Base s200 system - Datalogging, 3- step rev limiter, speed limiter removed (if applicable), tunable fuel and ignition tables, expanded rpm fuel & ignition tables, VTEC control, adjustable rev limiter. Various additional options are available, either when the unit is ordered or as an upgrade later:
Price Description $50 3 step rev limiter- Launch control and full throttle shift. (optional upgrade on systems purchased before 3/1/05) $200 Boost capability. Needed for turbo or supercharged applications $50 Datalogging capability. Required if you want to tune it yourself (optional upgrade on systems purchased before 12/13/04) Discontinued G Sensor module. $200 ROM Editor V3 (requires datalogging). Required for tuning yourself.

vs $150 for crome pro.

both systems require the addition of a romulator, chip burner, and wideband of some sort as well, so those are left off.

Boost or all motor, i'd use crome.

If your tuner likes hondata, go for it. It's NOT a bad system. just over-priced.

Back