hondata v. the world

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reikoshea

HS Troll...And Mod
VIP
Alright...so here goes...

Yall know when im going to do something i do INSANE ammounts of research before hand. Im learning to read turbo maps (to find the absolute best turbo for my goals) and now im trying to learn how to tune, and what is best.

Im not sure if i will have enough for a "proper tune" when i get my turbo stuff, so i am going to buy V-AFC and have intercrew do a streetable tune and a drag tune.

So why should i go with crome or something like that when i can get hondata with datalogging and on the fly changes. Does anyone but AEM offer the same thing?

for the price of a vafc, and tuning, you can get your ecu chipped with crome and that tuned.

crome datalogs as well, just like hondata. it also has some features hondata dosen't (autotune). aem is overkill. crome is hard to beat at the moment for the DIYer.

crome > s200 by far.

but the new s300 system is pretty bad ass. i've yet to play with it, but from what i've seen of it, i think it blows crome out of the water...

however, neptune has a beta of their RTP board out... and word has it that craig maotes is working on one too... so its only a matter of time before the DIY world gets it all together for RTP with no chips necessary.

but yeah, F the vafc... those things are so 2001.

crome it up y0

besides a manual p72 what do i need for crome...like the entire list...

yeah...been there...lookin for a cliffnotes...my lazy ass.

I only have so much time between fighting with my girl.

i was looking for cliff notes for TE...and never found them....i had to sit at work and read everything i could....my head still hurts

you need an ecu with a socket soldered in, the software, and an ostrich romulator, and a wideband. thats about it.

Quoted post[/post]]

however, neptune has a beta of their RTP board out... and word has it that craig maotes is working on one too... so its only a matter of time before the DIY world gets it all together for RTP with no chips necessary.

crome it up y0

Actually, Moates is making the All-in-One board for Neptune. There will be two versions, one for Neptune with encryption to protect the Neptune code (can only be used with Neptune) and then another version of the same board really for DIYers that should work with Uber, Crome, TurboEdit. Granted all of the creators add support for it when its out.

It will be basically the same thing as S300, only, it will fit in large and small case ECUs and will work in any ECU that is already socketed (S300 does NOT work in a normally socketed ECU, it requires special pins).

I am assuming it will work (not fit inside) in any 28 Pin type ECU (Ford, DSM..Honda, Etc) granted the proper software is mated with the hardware and it can replicate the type of chip those particular ECUs use.

Pretty tite shit if you ask me!!

Here's a comparison for the original poster:

Hondata Cost
- Hondata S300 ($595)
- ECU ($75-150)
- Socketing ($50-80)
Total - $720

Crome Cost (a typical DIY setup)
- Software ($150)
- Ostrich, for real time tuning ($175)
- Datalogging cable ($30)
- Chipped P28 ECu ($135)
- Innovate LC-1 Wideband ($199)
Total - $689 and that includes a WIDEBAND!!!

Add a wideband to the S300 to tune yourself and its another $200, for less features and a product that still doesnt fully work (or so I hear on H-T).

BTW...I have the whole Crome setup on special as a package deal for $540 shipped at this current time. Working with John Cui to eventually include Crome on an install CD with the package deal and some basemaps as well.
:ph34r:

So, would i be correct in thinking that if i purchase an ECU that already has a jun/spoon/skunk2 chip on it, i wouldnt have to do anything but replace it with my own chip?

Quoted post[/post]]
So, would i be correct in thinking that if i purchase an ECU that already has a jun/spoon/skunk2 chip on it, i wouldnt have to do anything but replace it with my own chip?

As long as it is socketed and not soldered in.

In my experience as well, most of those Jun, Spoon ECUs use the cheapest sockets (dual wipe) which over time and after repeat changing wear or loose contact completely...which either leaves you to resocket or toss the ECU as most times its harder to resocket an ECU rather than socketing a virgin one. most ZIF sockets dont fit very well in those dual wipe sockets either...

thats cool. i just havent soldered anything but audio cables in a while...its not to hard to put the solder in the hole....

im going to avoid chome. everyone around here that uses it, there car starts fucking up. for some reason, it fucks up, and randomly changes settings.

if you want datalogging, use a hondata. if you plan on making more then 400whp, dont be a cheap ass, but an AEM.

an EMS in the right hands, is hands down the best. nothing on the market today, can even come close to it. it allows you to change ANY setting, it gives instant feedback from all you factory sensors, and soo much more. ive only tinkered with it a couple of times, but watching our local EMS tuner work, and to see everything it logs, and you can change, is absolutly amazing.

*edit* just checked on the latest version of turboedit. it also has datalogging. <----that is what im going to use. but the creator is also a local to me, so that helps in my decision.

wtf? sounds like complete and utter user error to me.

aem ems is the best? lmao... right....
and FAST speed pro sucks ass, i forgot...

The TurboEdit creator also has his own version of OBD1 tuning software. All OBD1 uses the same basic ROM stuff, they just use a different interface. I believe JParker's stuff can do either P30 or P72 stuff as well to a point. I'm not sure, I just know he uses his own software to tune 400-500+ hp cars using TurboEdit. This will hopefully be public at some point and I am positioning to get a copy myself :)

And I wouldnt say AEM is the best. Best is WAY too subjective. All have their strong and weak points. AEM is just WAY overpriced. And yeah it has features but it almost has too many features some times it seems.

Honestly...if you want the best, the two I have seen are Autronic and Motec, hands down.

Quoted post[/post]]
im going to avoid chome. everyone around here that uses it, there car starts fucking up. for some reason, it fucks up, and randomly changes settings.

if you want datalogging, use a hondata. if you plan on making more then 400whp, dont be a cheap ass, but an AEM.

an EMS in the right hands, is hands down the best. nothing on the market today, can even come close to it. it allows you to change ANY setting, it gives instant feedback from all you factory sensors, and soo much more. ive only tinkered with it a couple of times, but watching our local EMS tuner work, and to see everything it logs, and you can change, is absolutly amazing.

*edit* just checked on the latest version of turboedit. it also has datalogging. <----that is what im going to use. but the creator is also a local to me, so that helps in my decision.

Well im sorry to say that when i do go to tune my car im probably going to go with Hondata S300. Phillip at intercrew went over it with me, and it seems to be the best choice by far. He is better suited to tune with S300, and its got a lot of features that i can run in my laptop after all is said and done. Thanks for the input guys.

neptune is an EMS
st00pid is from texas, and works at the shop car boy. he's the shit. and he tunes neptune.

Back