Hondata?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Circuit

Is hondata suppost to be a replacement of the ECU? I have no idea what it is. Someone enlighten meh! :ph34r:

Hondata doesn't replace your ecu, it alters the signal from the ecu. It is what is known as a piggyback unit (works with your ecu). Go to their website to learn more. www.hondata.com

Hondata isn't really a piggyback unit. "Piggybacks" are what you call add-on units like VAFCs and SAFCs. Hondata is basically just a custom chip burning system that lets you tailor quite a few things in the Honda fuel map. There is an add-on box that allows you to add a few functions like the 3 stage rev limiter and a shift light, but the system is really a chipping solution and not a piggyback. It's not altering any signals like piggybacks do... it's a full ECU program replacement.

Originally posted by Calesta@Nov 1 2003, 02:38 PM
Hondata isn't really a piggyback unit. "Piggybacks" are what you call add-on units like VAFCs and SAFCs. Hondata is basically just a custom chip burning system that lets you tailor quite a few things in the Honda fuel map. There is an add-on box that allows you to add a few functions like the 3 stage rev limiter and a shift light, but the system is really a chipping solution and not a piggyback. It's not altering any signals like piggybacks do... it's a full ECU program replacement.

For the price it shouldn't be a piggyback!

the main function of the "hondata box" is COPY PROTECTION. The ECU has a continuous conversation with a microcontroller inside the hondata box in order to prevent you from copying one of the simple ROM chips in side of the ECU.

The reason you can change revlimits, etc. with the box is because it is engineered to monitor clutch switches, etc. and send different revlimits to the ECU based on its inputs.

Although it uses the stock ECU as a starting point, the Hondata units are almost totally reengineered - think of them as a standalone that uses stock ECU hardware instead of getting a new ECU manufactured. All in all a great product.

Originally posted by Calesta@Nov 1 2003, 01:38 PM

whoa so I'd have to get a hondata chip if I got a shift light?! :unsure:

Dayum.

Originally posted by sleepergtx@Nov 7 2003, 11:53 PM
whoa so I'd have to get a hondata chip if I got a shift light?! :unsure:

Dayum.

Uh... NO. You're reading it all wrong. <_<

:p great question on the shift lite.
Anyways here's my ?
It sounds like you could get the same with just getting a custom chip burnt and put in you obd1 ecu? I know that the hondata system would make it convienent to tune it perfectly cause you'd be able to change it a little and burn another chip quick. but for simplicity and cost wouldn't it be easier to get some one to just burn you a chip based on your setup?

Back