Honing a Honda block

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

5speed4life

Hey i want to hone my block but i dont know what to use. Im used to the chevy v8's but these honda walls are smooth as glass. is that from use (130k miles) or is that the way its supposed to be?

I have the 3 stone hone, and i was planning to use oil when cutting.

i guess my question is do i hone this like a chevy?

Originally posted by 5speed4life@Nov 7 2004, 10:12 AM
Hey i want to hone my block but i dont know what to use. Im used to the chevy v8's but these honda walls are smooth as glass. is that from use (130k miles) or is that the way its supposed to be?

[post=413376]Quoted post[/post]​

Well when im at work (Honda) and we encounter a engine that needs rings or pistons, we dont hone the cylinder walls unless there are vertical scratches. If there aren't any dont worry about it, otherwise, you can hone just as you do on a chevy, BUT do it slower, and check ur progress as you go because its aluminum not cast iron, haha. Good Luck

Originally posted by MXDesa+Nov 7 2004, 11:51 AM-->
5speed4life
@Nov 7 2004, 10:12 AM

Well when im at work (Honda) and we encounter a engine that needs rings or pistons, we dont hone the cylinder walls unless there are vertical scratches. If there aren't any dont worry about it, otherwise, you can hone just as you do on a chevy, BUT do it slower, and check ur progress as you go because its aluminum not cast iron, haha. Good Luck
[post=413404]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks, and ya there are vertical scratches.

honing without oil is better! and like he said, go slow, dont want to go oversize by accident and have the piston to wall clearance end up being too much for stock internals! :)

Originally posted by MXDesa+Nov 7 2004, 11:51 AM-->
5speed4life
@Nov 7 2004, 10:12 AM

[post=413404]Quoted post[/post]​

ahhh.... you work at honda? let me know which shop so i know where to not take my car. the sleeves are steel inset into aluminum, and even if their arent vertical scratces you should always hone if you are putting in new rings. the crosshatch acts as a file and is what seats the rings.

Originally posted by 91crx@Nov 11 2004, 10:18 PM

ahhh.... you work at honda? let me know which shop so i know where to not take my car. the sleeves are steel inset into aluminum, and even if their arent vertical scratces you should always hone if you are putting in new rings. the crosshatch acts as a file and is what seats the rings.
[post=415611]Quoted post[/post]​

The helms manual specifically says that a hone is not necissary unless there are vertical scratches.

I know several people that have installed new pistons with out honing and have perfect compression.

ya man just like agood old chev but you want a shallower cross hatch pattern and use a good clean oil with those stones.

Back