1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hood Clearance Issues??

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by sleeperspecial, Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sleeperspecial

sleeperspecial New Member

I recently picked up a civic hatch with a B18 Turbo and the guy had to move unexpectedly and had this turbo lying around. The only problem is it didn't clear the hood so he cut a hole threw the hood. My question is, what turbo will clear the hood or do I need to buy an aftermarket hood? The current Garrett turbo a/r ratios are the same as a GT45 so it is a rather large turbo I am assuming. Anyways, I included a pic below and hopefully I will be able to add more once I get them uploaded.

Civic Hatch Pics pictures by wcollum - Photobucket

[​IMG]

2. 89' Project Civic

89' Project Civic d16a6/d16y8 "mini-me"

OMG, that must be a huge turbo

3. pureautosports

pureautosports Pureauto

wow i could build you a clean hood thats cut out professionally and paint it to match for cheaper than buying an aftermarket one let that beast show!

4. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

HA! He chewed a hole through the hood with his teeth from the looks of it.

Buy a different manifold, one that will place the turbo in the correct position.

Or better yet, put eyeballs on it, weld arms out of nuts and bolts to it, and have it climbing out of the hood powell style!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  5. disableddan

disableddan Crazy Insane

That's fucking sick, I would just leave it the way it is!! Thats the most bad ass shit ever!!!

6. Matts96HB

Matts96HB . Moderator VIP

Umm, what kind of power is this car making?

7. sleeperspecial

Im not exactly sure, I was corrected on another forum about the a/r ratios not meaning jack about the turbo size. It is the actual turbine wheels that determine it. Anyways, I haven't been to the track nor dyno. So, the power is still unknown. I need to find a good tuner around my area so I can see what the car can really do. My guess is 250 to 300whp because I am only running 9-10 psi. I raced a 1g Supra with a 2g engine w/single turbo conversion last weekend. He put down 450whp at 11psi and during our race he was pushing 14psi. We couldn't pull each other at all. I plan on trying out the Holset HE351VE VGT turbo in the near future. The only thing is, the exhaust housing is huge (even compared to the current turbo) so the hole may end up being larger. I have been thinking of selling the top mount in favor of a ramhorn that is ac compatible but I still haven't decided. I still haven't found a hood that will clear the turbo so I guess it will be either a custom fab job or leave it the way it is. It gets a little tough to pick a race when you have a turbo sticking out of the hood, lol.

8. DESPAIN

DESPAIN yep....mmhhm.......yep...

lets see what it looks like under the hood.

9. sleeperspecial

[​IMG]

Here is the only pic I have showing the entire engine bay. One of the many things on my list of repairs is to paint the engine bay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.