Hood clearance with a LS swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dales94EJ1

Speed Freak
I just finished dropping a B18B1 in my '94 EJ. My concern is the hood clearance from the top of the motor. The top of my B18 sits about an inch higher than the top of the fender. I've heard several stories about hood clearance issues from this exact swap. I haven't got a hood for the car yet and want some ideas before I decide which route to take. I know the stock hood has a little bit of a rise to it in the center but not that much. I'm not too fond of hood spacers and would like to keep a stock look to the car. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remedy this issue? Would I gain enough clearance by cutting out the support structure in the hood right above the engine?

Depends on the mounts. If you bought cheapy ebay mounts its a tossup. Just have to grab a hood and see.

I've got a set of innovative mounts in my eg8, which I'm going to guess is nearly identical in front. I had to swap out the driver mount for a stock one to make it fit.

I'm not sure what mounts I have as they came with the motor swap. I believe they are the factory mounts for the teggy that the motor came out of. But I can't bitch too much about the fit. I got the motor, trans, p72 ecu, and GSR header all for $500. And I actually drove the teggy when this motor was in it so I know the motor is good.

i didnt have a hood clearance issue with the ls swap i did in a 95 dx coupe but when we put a vtec head on it i had to put a baseball size dent in the drivers side hood frame
ps i used hasport mounts though so that might have made a difference

Back