1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horrible Gas Mileage?

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by Riceras, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Riceras

Riceras Senior Member

1997 Civic CX (HB)
    with d16Y7 instead of D15B8

I did a motor swap after my head blew Didnt bother changing the ECU... Are they Not Compatible.. Im not throwing any codes.. I have a 10 Gallon Tank and I only get about 200 miles per fillup That cant be right.. after talking to Honda they told me that I need the ECU that corresponds with my motor... Just want to get an opinion from yall becaue all they want is my money which will cost 660$ for them to do... Would that ECU cause this problem

2. projectxspeed

projectxspeed Senior Member

I am sure that the ecu is the the main problem. That is the worst honda setup available you should not be using that ecu. Check a junk yard for the correct ecu it should be less than 100 or hit up ebay. You need a non vtec ecu from a 96-98 civic. (not the cx). I would also check your spark quality and timing.

3. VTECin5th

VTECin5th Administrator

damn $660 for an ecu install?!
    It is sad what Honda dealers do to people :eek:

4. 96CIVICLS

96CIVICLS Senior Member

is your car auto or manual i have a auto d16y7 ecu if you need it ill sell for real cheap just let me know.

ya boy steveo

5. asmallsol

asmallsol Super Moderator

it is 600+ from honda for one, however, they never go for that price in the real world. Check out the classifieds here, honda-tech.com, and ebay for one. You can easily find them for around 100

6. saturn_boy96

saturn_boy96 88 C1V1C 53D4N DR1V3R

i bet its more of a timing belt problem. when my timing belt was loose, it wasn't even off a tooth my gas mileage went from 34 mpg to 28. you should check your timing. and not jsut cam timing you need to check your ingintion timing too.

7. adidas_man

adidas_man Honorary Honda Driver

check you're o2 sensor also. i have the same problem, i although i have a cel that corresponds to the o2. just a little input.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted