1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hosting a Website from Home Server.

Discussion in 'Computers, Games, Electronics etc' started by riceracerex, Apr 18, 2010.

1. riceracerex

riceracerex D-Series Ninja

Well, I am new at this. I have Filezilla, Filezilla Server, DynDNS Updater and a account setup @ DynDNS.

I opened port 80 for the firewall and setup the dynamic dns for my netgear router and now I am stuck.

I am using slackerob.serveftp.com

I don't know where to go from here. Has anyone here ever done this before? I just donwloaded Apache so maybe I need to setup my site files with it. I know there are some smart people on here, HELP! I need a nerd!

2. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

i never used dyndns as a file server, but there is no extra setup needed to remote into your machines from the internet.

3. riceracerex

ok, I found out that my ISP was blocking port 80 so I need to figure that part out.

4. riceracerex

I am just learning here. It's my first time and I am tired of getting downtime from my host. My actual URL is slackerob.freehostia.com but it will be slackerob.com when it's all said and done. I am just building it to learn because all of the lame schools where I live can't even teach basic html.

5. Drake

Drake Well-Known Member VIP

Do you have a static ip addy from your ISP?

6. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

most ISP's strictly disallow this and will temrinate your account if they find it... and they will if it gets any visitors to it.

if you're just doing it to learn, just get a free webhost.
    Free Web Hosting with PHP, MySQL and cPanel, No Ads

so much easier than installing WAMP on your home machine and risk your internet account.

7. riceracerex

Thanks B. I was hoping to set it up as a learning experience. I have had a couple .coms but wanted to see how it all worked. I read you can use ports other than port 80 but I will probably call my isp and make sure I am not disturbing my usage rights. I like GoDaddy but they don't offer much in the area of sql/php unless I shell out the cash monthly for it. I guess you really do get what you pay for. I think my ip is dynamic and I am not for sure how to setup a static ip yet or if I can change it. Using a netgear wifi router. Never heard of WAMP but looks pretty straight forward.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted