Hosting a Website from Home Server.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

riceracerex

D-Series Ninja
Well, I am new at this. I have Filezilla, Filezilla Server, DynDNS Updater and a account setup @ DynDNS.

I opened port 80 for the firewall and setup the dynamic dns for my netgear router and now I am stuck.

I am using slackerob.serveftp.com

I don't know where to go from here. Has anyone here ever done this before? I just donwloaded Apache so maybe I need to setup my site files with it. I know there are some smart people on here, HELP! I need a nerd!

i never used dyndns as a file server, but there is no extra setup needed to remote into your machines from the internet.

I am just learning here. It's my first time and I am tired of getting downtime from my host. My actual URL is slackerob.freehostia.com but it will be slackerob.com when it's all said and done. I am just building it to learn because all of the lame schools where I live can't even teach basic html.

Thanks B. I was hoping to set it up as a learning experience. I have had a couple .coms but wanted to see how it all worked. I read you can use ports other than port 80 but I will probably call my isp and make sure I am not disturbing my usage rights. I like GoDaddy but they don't offer much in the area of sql/php unless I shell out the cash monthly for it. I guess you really do get what you pay for. I think my ip is dynamic and I am not for sure how to setup a static ip yet or if I can change it. Using a netgear wifi router. Never heard of WAMP but looks pretty straight forward.

Last edited:
Back