1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

house i'm looking at...

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by pissedoffsol, Jan 15, 2007.

1. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

well, everyone else is talking about it to... so why not me too :D

I'm looking to get out of the condo soon... no set date. I guess you could say I'm casually browsing right now. Maybe hit a few open houses or something.

I figure, now is a good time to move into my 'final' home. I don't want nor need a starter home.... the condo served that purpose for me.

But, now i'm running out of room. I hate my small kitchen. I hate my dishwasher. I hate how tiny my garage is. I need a bigger room for my gym. I need a dedicated music room. My office is a mess. 1150 sq ft just isn't cutting it any more.

I scoped this one out, just over the town line into the next town. It's the 2nd to last house on a cul del sac in a rather upscale area.

Property Features

Single Family Property
    Dining room is 10X12
    Area: 118
    Family room is 13X19
    Year Built: 1999
    Kitchen is 12X19
    4 total bedroom(s)
    Fireplace(s)
    3 total bath(s)
    2 car garage
    3 total full bath(s)
    Attached parking
    8 total rooms

Heating features:
    Forced air, Multizone, Oil
    Approximately 2441 sq. ft.
    Central air conditioning
    Two story

Interior features:
    Clothes dryer, Dishwasher, Fire/smoke alarm(s),
    Foyer,
    French door(s),
    Microwave oven,
    Mud room,
    Range and oven,
    Refrigerator,
    Thermal window(s),
    Full basement,
    Unfinished basement,
    Bedroom(s) on upper level(s),
    Formal dining room,
    Family room on 1st floor/level,
    Carpet,
    Tile flooring,
    Eat-in kitchen,
    Laundry on 1st floor/level,
    Formal living room,
    Master bedroom suite,
    Whirlpool in master bedroom

Style: Colonial
    Automatic garage door,
    Garden area,
    Underground utilities,
    TV cable available,
    Deck,
    Upper level deck,
    Cement driveway,
    Lightly treed/wooded lot,
    Septic sewer system, Water supply from well(s)

Exterior construction: Vinyl siding
    Located on a cul-de-sac
    Approximately 2.31 acre(s)

It's been reduced 20 grand already, and i still think its a little over-priced. If it drops another 10, I'm going to consider putting in an offer for 10 less than that, which will put it well within my budget.

MLS images:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and pics i took this morning of the outside attached below.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  2. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

damn, thats a huge ass house
    keep job security in mind...

3. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

Job security is NOT an issue. My boss knows what I'm capable of and knows what he has. All the time just joking around he says 'you aren't planning to leave any time soon are you?' I'm happy here. They like me, I like them. they pay me well. No complaints. Business is doing well. picked up a few new large clients recently, and there's constant work rolling in. We're actually talking about expanding soon and adding a couple team members, of which, I will 'micro manage' being the senior guy and all :)

4. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

5. BigJ

BigJ I'm just about that action Boss. VIP

Nice house. Unfinished basement is key. Slap some sheet rock in, and you'll be set. :)

6. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

listed orig at 439.
    dropped 20 to 419 about a week ago.

i'm looking to offer no more than 399. 400k is my absolute top i am willing to spend.

the house is nice, but its missing a lot that a low 400k place should have.... like marble kitchen tops, hardwood floors, stainless appliances, etc.

It's a lot of money, and i don't really need it. I'm sure steve is going to say i'm a dumbass :p but really, nothing in the mid 200's appeals to me... or they need work... or they are old. I don't want an old house. I don't want antique furnaces. I don't want to do a roof for a while. And, I'm not handy at all, so i don't want a fixer.

the 300's, there's not much available. Mostly, overpriced houses in normal neighborhoods.... like the one house that someone upgraded from a 250-270k neighborhood to the 300+ level. and still, most are 1970's houses.

This area is pretty sought after, its literally 100 feet from the town border which keeps me near everything, and adds like 10 min to my commute probably.

in time, the value of this place will go up. There's tons of 500-700k houses in the neighborhood, and there's one set back one street over that was listing for 1.2 mil not too long ago. I tried to take a pic of it too, but its gated and too far from the road to see :p

the only thing i'm not really sold on from my drive by is the lot.

it doesn't look that bad, but the slope sucks. It also seems a lot smaller than the advertised 2.3 acres.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  7. Airjockie

Airjockie Watanabe Whore!!!

8. CRX-YEM

CRX-YEM Super Moderator Moderator VIP

Approximately 2441 sq. ft.

Keep in mind heating that place is gonna be $$$

9. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

I'm an eskimo. heating is a non-issue to me. Especially with the fireplace. i haven't had my heat on for over 48 hours now and its just starting to get chilly inside to me here. I don't have a baby to keep warm, and pipes don't freeze in the upper 50's. it costs me about 100 more a month for my power bill in the winter than it does in the fall/spring, (summer a/c is on, and is higher than fall/spring) Plus, just due to the daylight hours, i have more lights on, and I'm out less (meaning i'm home more, tv on, more lights on, whatever.)

double the sq feet, i'm looking around 200 bucks or so, minus whenever i use the fireplace. my hoa fee is 175 now, and it gets me nothing but a 6' lawn cut in the summer. and they are talking about bumping it to 200 next fiscal year, cuz the idiots who run this place don't know how to mange the freaking place.

plus, its well, so there's no city water bill to pay for which will pretty much even out against my heating bill. and me being a single guy, the septic should only need to be cleaned out once every 3-5 years or something like that. i don't know much about them, but i think it usually lasts for a family of for a couple years before it needs to be cleaned out. Plus, if i go through with this (or another place that has septic), I plan to negotiate a septic cleaning prior to my move-in.

it will pretty much double my mortgage payment that I'm paying now for the condo, minus hoa.

my finances will be in check within the month, and come tax time, I should have a lot of cash to play with thanks to write offs and mortgage interest.

we'll see what happens.

10. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

looks like plenty of room for parties :)

11. smarty009

smarty009 Senior Member

isnt that a lil big of a house for just you? or do you plan on having people over a lot? nice house nonetheless

12. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

yeah, its a little big. 1700 sq ft is probably all i need. but i'm sure i'll find something to fill every room.

master = my bed room
    rm2 = my office
    rm3 = my studio/music room
    rm4 = guest bedroom
    basement = gym
    garage = my 2 cars

its already filled up

13. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

You're on fucking crack.

Enjoy $4000 mortgage payments.

14. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

Don't mean to be shitty about it, but that's a lot of home for one dude and a Bimmer. I know you make a lot, but my gf and I blow your income out of the water - That's a steep payment. Even if you have 100k equity in your condo (Not gonna happen) it'll take like $30 or so to sell it.

I'm not gonna talk about that house specifically, because it'll be off the market before your selling agent returns your phone calls. But a house this size is going to kill you. You gotta cut that lawn, my friend.

I think you can pull something like this off, but there has to be a more intelligent way of doing it. If you can do more payments every month (Like, double your mortgage now, which is what you're looking at in the first place) then buy a place that needs some TLC, or a new construction (Totally new.. TOTALLY new.. like, you can affect the blueprints) and have them build it while you wait. You'll have the property mortage (Which you can do ontop of your condo with your eyes closed) and then the construction loan, which you can cover 50% of when you sell your condo in a careful 6 months. By then the house will be done, you'll be paying about 30% over your monthly now. And you can have that custom BMW garage that you have designed. The house will be your spec.

Many smarter ways to go about this. Chirp me if you don't get what I'm saying, because this can be a golden opportunity.

With a $250k place that my gf and I are getting (Found another one, put money down and got the offer) after all is said and done every month we'll still be able to sock away $1500 after all expenses (Including the car I might buy in the summer to celebrate).

-> S

15. get_nick

get_nick These snozzberries taste like snozzberries... VIP

www.b'shouse.com

let chicks live there for free if they fuck you. have them sign up for your new website and send pics. no rent, they just have to give it up.

16. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

heh, i knew it was coming.

its not that much. its about 26-2800 with pmi.

i take home around 5500-6000 a month. its well within my budget.

yeah, i'm probably going to loose my shirt on the condo, and i know it. the only way it would be profitable would be to live here for 10 more years. and well, its not in the cards. i'm sick of this place, the stupid kids next door, the lack of management of the property group, the crappy windows that i can't change, and so on...

maybe i'll keep it and rent it out or something. i don't know. i'll have to re-finance to do that though... we'll see.
    this isn't something i'm going to jump into just yet. i'm browsing :)

its actually been on the market for nearly a month now, and its already gotten a price drop. I've emailed back and forth a couple times with the selling realtor.

lawn? a couple of my firneds run landscaping businesses. it will get taken care of :)

this is exactly what i don't want. I don't have time, desire, ambition, nor the technical skill to do a fixer. just look at my fucking wall thread from the surround speaker.

i'd like to , but there's not much undeveloped land for sale around here. plus, its a lot longer process that i really don't have the time for.

i get you... i've thought about all the options, and the only one that makes sense to my lifestyle is a fairly new home already built.

out of my 6/month,
    the 2500 ish payment
    the ~5k in property taxes (call it 400/month

the house is going to take half my income... which is what the condo was doing for me when i moved in here
    the car takes 1000 between payment and insurance

that leaves me 2k a month to eat, get gas, and pay my phone, internet, investments, etc. plenty.

no thanks.

17. 97hatch

97hatch ?

:thumbsup:

18. totalburnout

totalburnout Well-Known Member VIP

I will say this B, why would you want to move into your "final" house, alone?

If I were single, I would never buy a huge home by myself. What should happen if you get married to someone in the coming years and something goes sour and you lose half of your investment in the house?

Then I would think of the fact that if I were to wait and buy a house with a significant other that with dual incomes, we would be able to buy a larger house more comfortablely and both have an equal investment into the house.

I don't know if this logic seems silly to you, but its how I have always rationalized the situation. If I'm still single when I graduate college, I'll move into either a condo or apartment until I'm ready to get married, buy a house, and start a family.

I guess this logic probably seems silly to you, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Don't reply with the, "I'm going to die, old and alone."

19. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

The odds of me getting married are pretty damn slim.

of the past 5 years, i think 4 days of that i've 'been' with someone.

but i won't be old. I smoke. So, "I'm going to die, young and alone".

should i get married, i will be getting a pre nup. there's no way around it. When you have things, you gotta protect yourself. If she won't agree to it, we won't be getting married, cuz all it does is prove shes a gold digger.

I don't need a 2nd income to support me and my car or my house.

Like you said before, women are stupid for not wanting me... but whatever... their loss.

i don't think i'll need anything bigger than that. and there's a 98% chance that anyone i get with will not be on my income level and thus capable of having an equal investment in a larger place... doctors don't appeal to me, lawyers are annoying bitches... and theres like 3 women in IT in the world who make a salary near me.

renting is such a waste. don't rent if you don't have to.

even though if i do sell the condo right now it will be for a loss, at the end of the day it comes out pretty even.... cuz i get to write off all the interest i've pain on the place. you can't write off shit when you rent.

I live a different life than most people, especially women in this area my age.
    few if any live on their own. most still live with their parents.
    most work dead end jobs for 12-15 bucks an hour.

if they do live alone, they are renting so crappy place like a 3-family, drive a pos car, and spend all their money on shoes. the other half, have kids. and i don't want that shit. the last thing i need in my life is baby's daddy dramma bullshit. its a huge deal breaker for me. a POR 9 who actually has a personality to go with it... if she has a kid, shes out. it's the one absolute thing that i won't deal with.

its not hard to find a date.
    its impossible to find a date thats actually worth my time.

20. 97hatch

97hatch ?

i dis agree with you 100% you are stupid if you are capable of geting a loan on a house and plan on staying at some place for at least 2years and you dont buy your own home reasons why

tax break
    home equity
    no lanlord
    do what you want
    chaper than rent 99% of the time

i just bought my first home and im single/dating and i couldnt be happier and that crap about a woman well hope you have fun buying you lanlords wife a new house while you live in some dump that he has a 300 mogage on and you pay him 900mo for this hell hole he calls a home

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted