1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

house shopping continues....

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by pissedoffsol, Jul 11, 2005.

what to do...

1. buy it.

100.0%
  2. offer 230k, if they take it, buy it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. offer 250, make them pay closing costs.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. don't buy it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. wtf, another house thre

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

http://tinyurl.com/74qta

i'm REALLY interested in this house.

drove by it on saturday. nice little plot of land, cul-de-sac, 3-bay barn in the backyard, the basement has a full bar... located in the next town over, which has lwoer taxes, and a lower mil rate. its everything i want out of a house.

the 250 is a little steep though. but in the long run, it saves me from having to build a barn/shop in the back later, which would cost me 20k probably anyway.

i'm thinking about offering 230, or offering the full 250, but make them pay for closing/inspection costs.

thoughts?

2. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

Looks like a real nice place there. They should have shot the interior decorator though. Fuglyest carpets EVER.

3. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Senior Member

:werd: that interior is hidious, but with a little effort, I could see that becoming a really nice pad.

4. Airjockie

Airjockie Watanabe Whore!!!

offer 230k, if they take it, buy it. +1

5. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

Start with $230 - Then on their counter offer say "Sure, but I want you to cover closing costs"

Because as a home owner, no closing cost is worth taking a $20k dive. With barn ? this place could sell with or without you - So your only bargainning weapon is the quick closing.

But hey, lots of people are willing to cover expenses at a profit. Offering $230 is within the bargain scope, so who knows.

Never offer people what they want for the house. They went to the agent and said "I would like $240" and the agent said "Lets go with $250"

6. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

werd

make a bid for 230K, house looks nice

7. MadMaXXX

MadMaXXX Mad Man

i dont know the first thing about buying houses so i just chose option # 1

less money is always good

8. Bob Vila

Bob Vila ɐןıʌ qoq Admin VIP

Brian as an FYI. My mothers house sold for 229, she had 60k to put down so her mortgage was just shy of 170k. She makes very good money (double yours) and with all the bills, taxes, etc, just comes home with about 600 bucks a month for savings. I don't think it is a wise idea to go into buying a house with a "roommate" you need to look at your budget and what you can afford solely, because even if you have a roomate, the loan officer will only be looking at your credit, and what you can afford, they won't be looking at anyone elses unless they are on the mortgage as well....

9. trappd-in-859

trappd-in-859 New Member

Some of the prices on homes on the east and west coast amaze me. In the mid-west, you can get a 3bed/2bath home in a really nice neighborhood for around 125k.

My parents bought a house with 3bed/2bath, 2 car garage, finished basement, laundry room, deck, and shed in the back yard for like 120k.

I think im gonna stay in the good ol midwest.

10. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

In today's market it's very easy to get credit. I imagine B has been offered "$300,000"

I'm not going to tell him the truth, or why he is offered that yet :)

No one listens to me until it's too late anyway. I fought it for years, and finally gave in to my girlfriend: You CAN buy a house for nothing down, or a low downpayment. But you SHOULD have $20k, cash for the purchase... at least.

Now as a guy that makes low money (I'm not poor, but I'm in no shape for screw-ups) ($18 an hour.. laugh assholes) and a car habit I manage to put away $1000 a month with bills and rent. With the few emergencies that have come up, I've maintained about $12,000 for a downpayment. Again, I have help too - a professional and gainfully employed girlfriend.

So it's not easy. But it can be done - Should it be done? That's your call.

-> Steve

11. micah

micah Senior Member

its nice and all, but for a single guy at your age i dont think a 250k house is ideal.

i realize you make good money and that cost of living in ct is regoddamndiculous though and you have a better idea of what you can afford then i do :p

the 3 car detached garage is a major plus
    the interior is like straight form the 70's lol

i dont think i could live in it looking like that. look at another 10k or so for remodeling :p

12. phyregod

phyregod !!YTINASNI

You need to move to texas, man.

A house like that would be $55,000.. Easy. I looked at that and my eyes bugged out! Its not even brick! The interior needs a complete remodel!

I just bought a little two bedroom one bath house with a huge yard, big pecan trees, in a great neighborhood with an entire block sized park right across the street. The damned thing cost me $32,000. My neighbors house is 3 bed, 2 bath, with sunroom, two stories, brick, Bigger yards than mine, and it only cost them $90k..

13. CRX-YEM

CRX-YEM Super Moderator Moderator VIP

even if you offer the $250k full aking price the seller will still incure closing costs. If there is oil in the tank you'll have to agree on a price and purchase it from the seller, if they have a property tax bill due they will have to pay it, they also have to pay final water/sewer bills etc... I'll look at my HUD-1 sheet tonight from my closing a year ago and list the sellers closing costs and mine.

offre the $230K , see if they bite, or come back with a counter offer.
    also a larger down payment of about $5K will make you look like a more serious buyer and if you can offer to close on the sellers schedule that's a bonus also. For all you know they have an offer in on anotehr house and they have a contigency which states they can't move into the new place untill the house is under contract and sold. So the more convenient you can make the sale the more likely your offer will be accepted.

14. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

sure you can move to a cheaper area, but why for the love of god would anyone want to live in texas... its TEXAS... jebus...

instead of throwing 20K on a downpayment you should throw 10K and keep 10K for when your septic/well/roof need ot be redone...

always have cash ready when you own a house, things will come up...

15. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

if you get that house, im going into that basement with the biggest fucking bag of mushrooms ever :crazyeyes:

16. Bob Vila

Bob Vila ɐןıʌ qoq Admin VIP

lol, plus you can't escape the shag carpet man.

17. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Holy acid trip shagadelic carpet y0

18. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

that carpet is the key to affording that house

charge $5 each and let people go down there to "expand their minds"

the house could end up paying for itself

thats some Fear and Loathing type shit right there

19. SiLude

SiLude Senior Member

yo, let me get paid $18/hr. i would be sooo happy. chillin at $9.25/hr. what now. part time at that. and thats my only source of income. now, i could have bought the h22 for my lude, but saving is a bitch when you make close to nothing and weed is your friend.

the barn is key, the screened in patio is key. the interior decorating? :puke2:

20. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

I have about 30k to put down.

I'm not too worried about the loan, either. I already got pre-approved for 200k, and that was with 5k down and about a year ago..... i think if i show i have 30k now to put down, i don't think getting 30-50k more will be a big deal. Plus, I have a hook up on a realestate agent. Shell's aunt is one, and i'm going to get in touch with her this week. She can supposedly get me in for no money down.

If that happens, I can keep the 30k and tack on 500 a month for 600 months to the mortgage. plus, i can bank the 30k, and return 3-5% on it in the mean time.

There's a lot of paperwork and blue tape to work through... but this is all pre-offer talk.

sure, houses cost more, but we also make more, and have things to do besides farm corn.

and i do.

its a little much, yes. and i'd like to buy a smaller house. Fact is, they don't exist.

if they do exist, they are in the ghetto where all my shit will get stolen or vandalized. Spending an extra 100k on something nicer, where i feel safe, is worth it to me.

only queers and steers come from texas, and i don't see no horns....

j/p

but really, i have no desire to move out of my direct vicinity. this house is only a baseball's throw from the bristol line.

i wasn't aware of that... i thought the buyer paid them?

ad says it has gas heat... i'm assuming natrual gas? that stuff is cheap anyway. a couple hundred bucks is far from a negotiating factor IMO.

cool- good advice.

yeah, i think they are already in the process of moving. there were boxes on the porch when i drove by. i'm pretty much ready whenever.

lol werd. it has city water and sewer, so wells and crap aren't an issue. roof- i looked at it. it appears to be fairly new-- but ya never know. either way, i know people who roof, and can get a good deal on it :p

lol you e-tard.

the carpet in my house has been removed :p we're on hardwood floors again.

lol- you, chin, and barry would be over all the time.

damn druggies...

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted