house shopping continues....

what to do...

• offer 230k, if they take it, buy it.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • offer 250, make them pay closing costs.

• don't buy it

• wtf, another house thre

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bah, called up the realtor this morning.... its under contract :(

it means someone else pretty much said they are going to buy it, and its in the paper work phase :(

So another one bites the dust.. I imagine you'll find the right place, and lose it 23 more times before this is done. Just like the bitches, always a bigger and more fucked up one around the corner, or a nice petite model for beaucoup bucks :)

-> Steve

Well if you are seriously considering this, I think your first step is to contact a real estate agent. You won't get far outside the FSBO market unless you get in contact with one.

I realize that, but not just contacting hte SELLING agent, you need a Buyers agent, they'll email you with new listings and such so you can be notified as soon as they go on the market. Going to realtor.com and the like is not going to get you the house as the average selling time for homes is 1 week right now.

Edit: there's no pressure. I have one with prudential that looks for land for me all the time.

Originally posted by Bob Vila@Jul 12 2005, 11:46 AM
Well if you are seriously considering this, I think your first step is to contact a real estate agent. You won't get far outside the FSBO market unless you get in contact with one.
[post=524734]Quoted post[/post]​

Latest advice of the year award.

-> Steve

After my 30th build I still have people coming to me when an engine isn't running "Did you check the spark and fuel?" I just look at them and point at the door now.

the houses built in the 60's and 70s are usually in better shape than the ones built in the 80s

1968 was the tail end of quality construction materials. It's the newer shit you have to look out for.

Lots of people across the country don't realise what houses are like in the NE US. Here is a run-down.

It's not unheard of to find houses made in the late 1800s.
Hallways are narrow, staircases can be too.
Ceilings are low. Kitchens can sometimes be in the basement.
Basements aren't found in every house. They can be built on concrete slabs.
Sometimes the wiring is external and the pipes are too. Some walls weren't meant to serve as electrical conduit.
Dropped Ceiling tiles. When they added the modern amenities, like wiring and plumbing, they had to hide them in dropped ceilings.
Panelled walls. Nuff said.
hidden rooms / wierd floorplans.
Crawl spaces.
roofing that has several layers (Most code allows up to 5 layers)
Furnaces the size of volkswagens.
Windows with exposed counter-weighted rope. This isn't as bad as windows with built-in prop rods (They lack the counterweighting, and can't stay up on their own)
Wrought Iron.
tongue and groove floor panels / exposed beams
Mold / mosses
dank basements / attics

The list goes on.. The houses here made from the 80's up are the shittiest quality, cookie-cutter homes. New houses take about 3 days to raze and have a life expectancy of 20 years. They lean, they fall apart and have mostly balsa-quality trim. In NE they will also build on a swamp. They charge and include cliff sides as acreage. They tax everything, and certain towns have ordinances against shit like ... clotheslines.

It's a different world compared to the rest of the US

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 12 2005, 11:47 AM
scroll up. i already called the agent selling this one. its already under contract.
[post=524736]Quoted post[/post]​

Now you know how the last 1.5 years were for me.

If a house was listed on the market long enough to make it to any MLS website it would be under contract.

Any house that was on the market for the appraised value wouldnt last more then 48 hours. unless the seller made a set contract offering date.

On anothre note my friends listed their house for 170K it went under contract for 260K however it only apprised for 180K so they had no way of anyone getting a loan "unless paid in full" to buy it. so they had to sell it for the appraised price. =(

Keep in mind a years ago they paid something like 70K for the house

soon enough the DC/MD/VA market is going to crash =) WOOT and when that happens Im going to start looking again.

I know this is random, but make sure the septic tank is inspected and there is no problems with it. A new system could set you back 15k+.

pretty much any of the areas he is looking at have city water and sewar lines.... no wells and septic shit around here

Originally posted by Celerity@Jul 12 2005, 01:11 PM
Ceilings are low.
Basements aren't found in every house. They can be built on concrete slabs.
Panelled walls. Nuff said.
wierd floorplans.
Crawl spaces.
Windows with exposed counter-weighted rope.

Thats what my place has from your list... Built in 1956. Nothing but Andersen Windows all the way around.. I LOVE IT... My Bathroom window... installed in 1978... I wanted a screen for it.. Measured it, went to Home Depot saturday w/ the measurements... I'll have my brand new screen by friday.

Not to mention that I can also buy replacement windows for cheap if I buy andersen again... Because they will drop right in without pissing off the outside siding...

Thats why i LOVE my older house..

B... Honestly.. You almost need a condo... Because you want something decent shape with zero worries... But you also dont want to have to deal with the condo asshats...

Or you need your parents to sell their house to you and move to florida. :blink: :huh:

oh, and another thing for the rest of you guys:

No move-in house in the state of Connecticut can be found for less than $180,000.

-> Steve

Originally posted by Celerity@Jul 13 2005, 08:25 AM
oh, and another thing for the rest of you guys:

No move-in house in the state of Connecticut can be found for less than $180,000.

-> Steve
[post=525306]Quoted post[/post]​

$165k ready to move in here! :p :p Bought 5 months ago.. But then again, I almost bought the same house 3 years ago before it was remodelled for $85k. :huh:

Back