House?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Lol

I'm glad I don't live in the rich bitch portions of the country like you guys do. It must suck to have to make 70k a year to be considered middle class.

My mortgage is a little over a third of his budgeted amount and my house is 2700 sq ft and my garage is 1000 Sq ft.

You do realize that it's not "rich bitch" portions of the country right? People actually want to live in places where there are oceans, people, and, oh yeah, jobs. The midwest sucks, that's why shit is so cheap.

He lives in the greater seatle area, so 200k is probably under-shooting a decent house

Yeah. Depends on how close you need to be to Seattle. North and East of Seattle is much more expensive than south of Seattle. I know its not ideal for my job but that's where I ended up. I didn't buy yet, trying to find out if I can handle living down south before buying. And the condo was cheaper than buying. Just can't write off my interest :(. But I'm less than 1/2 the price of Seattle/Bellevue/Redmond areas.

First step is to get pre-qualified, a realtor will not talk to you without that.
Second step is to get your funds up.
You may only need 3.5% down payment for certain gov't backed mortgage products, but then you are stuck paying PMI.
Private mortgage insurance, which protects the bank if you default, it doesnt do shit for you.
you will need to pay that until you have 20% equity in the house, and it will run you in excess of 100 and up a month.
that will add a huge surcharge onto your mortgage payment.
put some money together and wait on the house hunt for a couple years.
also, make sure you are going to make it in this new career, in the same area before you get yourself up to your eyeballs in debt.
everything in life can change in a couple years time.

Right,

taxes, pmi, and insurance and nearly half of my mortgage payment. So, if you do math and say your 200k house costs you 900 a month on the calculators... it will probably cost you close to 1800 a month in reality,

then there's the bills as above

Both of these are solid pieces of advice.

When the wife and I were starting the process we were tired of renting a piece of shit apartment and we were getting married. We ended getting hitched in September and moved into the house the next March. We didn't go the picture perfect route but it has worked out so far (will be 7 years at the end of the month). Find a lender, get your letter so that you can really start looking with a realtor and find someone you get along with. We were lucky and were able to use a buddy of mine who was awesome. The process can be tedious but there is nothing better than the day you get the keys to your castle. After that make sure you do as much as you can on your own to save some money. I am fortunate enough to be a shop teacher with buddies in a bunch of the trades. Since we moved in we have re-done the driveway, added a 16x30 ft deck, done some landscaping, painting, etc. Soon we have to do the roof/siding/gutters but we have been planning on that. Shit just this past weekend I fixed the Aprilaire humidifier that I was quoted 150 to fix. Turns out it was 8 dollars in tubing and fittings to get it back to working order.

stats:
-purchase price 208,500
-initial interest rate was 6.3 with no down payment
-mortgage with PMI and escrow was 19xx.xx a month
-taxes were aout 4200 a year. Insurance is next to nothing as I live directly across from a firestation :)
-Refinanced about a year ago down to 3% mortgage dropped to 1300 a month.

I live in a suburb, with 1.8 acres, 2100 sq ft.

Taxes are huge. PMI is also a kick in the nuts. 1200 could easily be 1700. And here's something the realtors/banks don't tell you. Your payment can and will increase. Taxes, insurance, and periodic maintenance can be a killer. I have a set rate, and my payment inches up every year.

I live in a suburb, with 1.8 acres, 2100 sq ft.

Taxes are huge. PMI is also a kick in the nuts. 1200 could easily be 1700. And here's something the realtors/banks don't tell you. Your payment can and will increase. Taxes, insurance, and periodic maintenance can be a killer. I have a set rate, and my payment inches up every year.

Is it inching up due to Escrow? Otherwise it shouldn't go up.

Property taxes flucuate... mine have gone up 200 a month since i moved in

Property taxes flucuate... mine have gone up 200 a month since i moved in

this is why i won't buy a house in seattle. any time these fucktard liberals want to fund some new self-fulfilling election bullshit, they add to the property tax and sales tax.

Seattle rapes people in property tax, sales tax, and car licensing fees. it's unreal.

taxes increase and insurance increases. it can also decrease. just not very often.
my insurance was supposed to go up $200 last year, I called my insurance company and notified them that I was going to start shopping around, miraculously my home insurance went down by $250 and my car insurance was cut in half too. Also, taxes dropped by about $50 this past year as well.

Housing is cheap, and so is the salary.

But what really matters is everything else-- prices for cars, stuff on amazon, etc etc, are pretty much the same nationwide.

For easy math,
If I live in a high rate area and make 100k and spend 50k on bills/mortgage, i have 50k buying power left
If I live in a low rate area make 50k and spend 25k on bills/mortgage, I have 25k buying power left

This is why the 'middle class' in cali drive 3-series and the middle class in the middle of nowhere drive 1988 F150s.

Housing is cheap, and so is the salary.

But what really matters is everything else-- prices for cars, stuff on amazon, etc etc, are pretty much the same nationwide.

For easy math,
If I live in a high rate area and make 100k and spend 50k on bills/mortgage, i have 50k buying power left
If I live in a low rate area make 50k and spend 25k on bills/mortgage, I have 25k buying power left

This is why the 'middle class' in cali drive 3-series and the middle class in the middle of nowhere drive 1988 F150s.

This pretty much sums it up.

One thing that bothers me out here though, people who have decent jobs and work a lot of OT, have shit for houses/apartments and drive $60,000 trucks. I WANT a lot of shit, but my brain really discourages it. I've had this talk with a lot of my friends. What makes sense and what can be done are drastically different. Every time I get blasted with diesel exhaust by some redneck, i get pretty peeved and don't know why.

Aren't you middle class?

I'm a DINK, dual income no kids. My future ex-wife is an engineer and makes pretty good money. We're somewhere in there. lol

All that matters to us right now is saving, buying a modest house, and retiring early. Working until 70 is dumb and unnecessary.

people talk about life expectancy going to 90 or 95. but you dont' do anything after 80. Once i reach 80, if i own my house, social security will be enough to live on. That ponzi scheme isn't going anywhere. So we figure we can save enough to last from 59-80.

We're about as middle class as you can be. Don't own yet, but just moved to see how it goes.

At that, my fiance and I make decent money together. Not separately though. Hoping to bump both our salaries 10% each this year and that should really give us some increased savings power. Wedding and a house are going to cost a lot of money. The money she saved up doesn't seem like much when we started looking for houses and we decided we need a lot more cushion. And our rent is much cheaper than a mortgage for the time being.

Last edited:
I'm a DINK, dual income no kids. My future ex-wife is an engineer and makes pretty good money. We're somewhere in there. lol

All that matters to us right now is saving, buying a modest house, and retiring early. Working until 70 is dumb and unnecessary.

people talk about life expectancy going to 90 or 95. but you dont' do anything after 80. Once i reach 80, if i own my house, social security will be enough to live on. That ponzi scheme isn't going anywhere. So we figure we can save enough to last from 59-80.

I just went fishing with a boeing guy who is retiring next month. He started at 19 and did 35 years. Talk about the prime time to retire. Definitely retiring very very comfortably.

I just went fishing with a boeing guy who is retiring next month. He started at 19 and did 35 years. Talk about the prime time to retire. Definitely retiring very very comfortably.

he got in when there was a pension and stock options. that's a big score. part of the reason i want to leave boeing and work for a company with options. it really helps the retirement and 401k along.

Back