Housing Costs

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sleepn_accord

I'm just curious.. seeing so many threads about home renovations etc.

Where are you from and what is the average home price/rent?

I live in HI (Oahu) and have a decent home. Purchased in 2000 for 450,000. It's in a decent neighborhood, 10000sf./pool/4bd / 2 bathroom. Put it on the market LAST WEEK asking 850,000 and currently the highest offer is 1.2M.

I'll admit that I lucked out back in 2000 (I'm 26)...but I'm so worried for my children and others down here and I'm wondering if housing costs have reached ridiculous levels on the mainland as well?

Currently the cheapest median price in Hawaii is 590,000 for a single family home (and that's not much at that either).

<_<

No, understandably, you have the most expensive land in the US.

Sell all that, and move to Virginia - Instant retirement.

-> Steve

10,000 square feet?? holy crap.

that's EASILY a million dollar home inland too.

people are paying 500k for 2200 SQ Ft homes. lol

10k SQF is worth a lot more than a mil, NE specifically. If you could put it in NJ, NY, CT or even PA its probably a minimum of $2 million if it was in good condition. Damn...I need a house like that.

Shit... a 10k square foot home is big money anywhere. Property prices in the US are rediculously high right now.

Here in Podunk (coos bay), OR the average home is 1000-1500 sq. ft. and runs about 250-300kk for a nice home/property. What's driving our prices up is people from california who sell their million dollar homes and move up here to build the same home for half the price.

That's like PA. People in NYC pay 500,000 for a 1200-2400 sqf 2-3 bedroom house. They seem to love PA and how they can get a nice 3000+ sqf home for the same price if not cheaper, plus NYC isn't at it's high point in real estate. NYC is also a shithole...they expect PA to be a nice area in the middle of no where. Don't get me wrong, PA is that.... drug infested mountain type area.

But back to topic, CA is probably going to have more expensive houses.

i thought 10,000 was a bit large or you would be getting closer to 20-30 mill in hawaii , my unc lives in a hut down there. one bed one bath kitchen living room and a tp for a garage for his bike and payed close to 250 5 years ago! its worth 400 ish now - and he has his house in phoenix which he payed900,000 8 years ago. dont think the value on thats gone up to much tho -

Originally posted by Celerity@Jul 14 2005, 01:28 PM
If the planet were to need an enema, God would put the nozzle in Ohio.
[post=526213]Quoted post[/post]​

I was thinking Billings, MT but yours works too. :p

Originally posted by sleepn_accord@Jul 14 2005, 05:29 AM
Purchased in 2000 for 450,000. It's in a decent neighborhood, 10000sf./pool/4bd / 2 bathroom.
[post=525952]Quoted post[/post]​

Dirt cheap, thats ONLY $45 per square foot. :p

I was about to say, 10,000 square foot and only 2 measly bathrooms?!?! 2000 makes a little more sense.

And about the comment about moving to Virginia and it's instant retirement.
I know it was a joke, but Northern Virginia is about as bad as any other area in the NE. Buddy of mine paid almost $500k for a 2 bedroom apartment in Fairfax. It's god-damn-ridiculous.

Out here in good 'ol King George you can get yourself a nice looking 3,000 square foot house with a full basement and about an acre of land, for a little under $300,000.

Of course, we are in the middle of nowhere. :ph34r:

I am looking in the Lynchburg area.

As far as Ohio, It's a pit of despair. I escaped an attempted robbery at a toll booth (By the ATTENDANT!) I have OBE and near-death exepriences everytime I drive through Columbus, Cincinatti is a huge version of Newark, and the backroads and country area of Ohio is as inbred as WV... You break down there in an import and they'll have you no the end of a leash, barking like a dog in a day.

-> Steve

Newark...as in Newark, NJ?

I haven't been there in a awhile but I haven't really heard anything too bad about it until now.

Prolly a matter of perception,

I was a skinny white boy with long, flowing red hair when last I visited Newark.

-> S

Originally posted by Celerity@Jul 15 2005, 11:42 AM
Prolly a matter of perception,

I was a skinny white boy with long, flowing red hair when last I visited Newark.

-> S
[post=526669]Quoted post[/post]​

and now, you're a meatwad. :D

wow...sorry too high

I was in Newark NJ yesterday.

I meant I haven't been to Cincinatti in a while, is it really comparable to Newark?

Newark has changed, there are actually some nice area over there, very few, but they're there. It's a matter of opinion also. I actually like parts of Newark.

Back