How are B16s balanced?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

noob23

I am building a B16 (first gen if it makes a difference) and I am wondering how the motor is balanced? This is my first import build, and I'm sure that they need to be balanced, because of the 8k the motors are turning. Also, what main/rod bearings do I use? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

typically the rotating assembly (the crank,connecting rods,pistons) are spun at some rpm and balanced. don't think it's a do it yourself job, as you'd need to machine the crank and add what's called "heavy weights" to balance the assembly. as far as bearings, clevite 77 are a good start, or oem honda should be fine as well.

a machine shop has to do the balancing (unless you have the eqiupment and skill) id use oem bearings

OK...thanks.How much does something like this typically cost? What car do I buy the bearings for, this is a 1st gen B16. Thanks for the help.

from the factory, the bottom end IS balanced. it's balancer is the crank pulley.

bearings- I like ACL's... email elaskey@cox.net for a great price and service from laskey racing.

So, I just reassemble the motor then? They don't use any form of external balancer other than the crank pulley? I'm used to domestics, mpst of them have external harmonic balancers. Any B16 bearings will work?

pretty much. you CAN send it to get knife edged and balanced more... but from the factory, its MEANT to spin to 8500. honda parts are built with tolerences chevys could only dream of. lol

so yeah, pretty much put it back together, and you're pretty balanced.

Ok...thanks. I love the fast respones on this forum. What's the deal with the color codes on the bearings? Also, I was referring to Fords lol.

Back