How Bad Is The Chilton Manual For Wiring Diagrams?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I was comparing the existing wiring in my '90 hatch and most of it doesn't seem to correspond to the color/ecu pinout in the chilton book. I'm using the 84-95 civic/crx/delsol manual if that makes a difference. I've picked out some of the wiring diagrams on the 'net which show a LOT of differences when compared with the chilton book. Is it possible that the book is just that badly off....? My wiring really doesn't correspond to the wiring diagrams on the 'net either.

Thanks for the help!

Not being sarcastic or anything...but please enlighten me. 1990 does fall between 1984 and 1995....I know I was raised in the south but my math is still good. There's plenty of references to Hatchback in there, including more than a couple of wiring diagrams regarding my year. Not to mention the 1995 Civic Si D16Z6 engine that I'm working on.

Sure seems to me like it's the right book....in layman's terms anyway.

Please take a moment and show me the error.

the chiltons and haynes manuals are ok for simple shit
they are no where near as detailed or exact as the Helms manual is
they try to cover too many cars with a single manual so they CANT be exact on anything
if you are looking for a manual that will be correct for your vehicle get the helms ... they are vehicle and year specific

helms makes the manuals for the honda dealerships
they are definatly the best you can get

That's cool...but I gotta buy 3 of them? 1990 hatchback, 1991 Si ECU, 1995 D16Z6 engine........I am sooooo screwed.

How exact are the pinout diagrams on Hasport? My hatch has 2 wires (B11/B12) where the Hasport says there should be no connects. I've been tracing wires all day so I could use the pin plug from the old engine harness on the new engine without a lot of splicing. Other than the injectors and the resistor box, I figure this can be pretty easy if I get a GOOD pinout diagram.

Thanks for the info everyone....I appreciate it!

Originally posted by Raggedyman@Jun 22 2003, 08:58 PM
Not being sarcastic or anything...but please enlighten me. 1990 does fall between 1984 and 1995....I know I was raised in the south but my math is still good. There's plenty of references to Hatchback in there, including more than a couple of wiring diagrams regarding my year. Not to mention the 1995 Civic Si D16Z6 engine that I'm working on.

Sure seems to me like it's the right book....in layman's terms anyway.

Please take a moment and show me the error.

Let me put it to you this way.

88-91 is a gen 4. They are very similar but not exactly the same. The HELMS manual will cover ALL DX, HX, Si models. Including wiring.

The 92-95 is a gen 5. They are also very similar but not exactly the same. Again, the Helms manual will cover all CX, DX, EX, LX, VX, Si models. Including wiring.

I don't trust ANY book that doesn't understand the differences between generations and lumps them all into one book for $17.95

Get it?

Back