1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How big is to big?(muffler)

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by sleeper1.6, Dec 16, 2006.

1. sleeper1.6

sleeper1.6 Member

I have a 92 civic hatch with a DC Sports axleback, but when I got it I thought the tip was to big. It's 4 in. What would be a good muffler to replace it? And what is the difference from a fartcan and a regular performance muffler?

This is close to what my muffler looks like.

[​IMG]

2. AHHVTEC

AHHVTEC Well-Known Member VIP

i would keep what you have if its a dc sport a ebay fart can are crap there not made near as good.

3. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

why not just find a silencer for it?

4. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

I think he just doesn't like the tip. You can get exhaust systems out there with smaller tips- but 3" is about as small as they come.

As far as the difference between a "fart can" and a true performance exhaust, sometimes there really isn't much difference at the muffler. The bends, diameter, and use of resonators are really what make the difference- sometimes the mufflers are identical.

5. sleeper1.6

sleeper1.6 Member

It was the tip I was talking about. I'm planning to get a cat for the exhaust to tone it down some, but I just thought the tip looked a little big.

So would the 4 inch tip look bad on a hatch? (it may be a little bigger than 4 inches)
    You can just tell me what you think.

6. turb2o_vtec

turb2o_vtec New Member

4 inch tip isn't bad at all. I know it look big when you are looking at it but once it is on your car you'll love it. My brother have a 3 inch megaflow (OEM look-a-like) muffler that have a four inch tip and it look just perfect. But then again, everybody have their own taste.

7. Seany-izzle

Seany-izzle New Member

i had a thermal with a 4inch, it was pretty big looking. Didnt look right in proportion to the rest of the car. Now i have an RSR with a 3-ish inch tip, much better.

Rsr exmag, apexi ws, tanabe medallion touring are probably your best bets.

8. sleeper1.6

sleeper1.6 Member

Your right I have been getting alot of shit about the tip being to big that is why I wanted help finding a new one.

9. turb2o_vtec

turb2o_vtec New Member

I have a thermal exhaust too. Not sure which thermal you got but my is the 3 inch catback. So there is no reason to have my tip smaller.

And yes! Rsr exmag, apexi ws, tanabe medallion touring is the way to go if you are going N/A.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted