How 'bout them...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Bob Vila

ɐןıʌ qoq
Admin
VIP
Red Sox!!!!

They are at the risk of losing the Wild Card now! Haha!

World Series>Red Sox

Yeah but I hate the yankess just as much as the red sox :)

except that fact that yankee stadium is an awesome place to go to even if you arent a fan of the yanks.

Yeah, lots of people hate the Yankees, I've learned to deal with it.

But yeah, you're right, even before I was a Yanks fan, going to the Bronx to watch a game was one of the coolest things ev4r. It should be right up there with seeing the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building....well, most of Manhattan. :)

WTF are you talking about? The Magic Number for the sox is 1...that means, that ANY combination of a Sox win, and a Mariners loss will result in the Wildcard berth.....

But since your Hatin Steve and are so sure the Sox are in "danger" lets make a little wager. I will bet you 100 that the sox make the wildcard......

as far as the World series > Red Sox, we'll see...the Yankees for all the money they have spent the last three years have been owned by non spending teams. Some of you are not true sports fans, its all about who get hot at the right time, and the Yankees have to play teh twins, wh oare VERY hot right now. I bet the Yanks lose to the twins in 5, the Sox beat the A's in 5, the alcs will be the Sox and twins, the Sox will beat them in 6 with the way the picthing matchups would woprk, and the way the bullpen has actually been playing recently, and the Sox will los in the WS.......

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Sep 25 2003, 02:29 PM
Yeah, lots of people hate the Yankees, I've learned to deal with it.

But yeah, you're right, even before I was a Yanks fan, going to the Bronx to watch a game was one of the coolest things ev4r. It should be right up there with seeing the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building....well, most of Manhattan. :)

You have obviously never been to Fenway.......

Fenway > Yankee Stadium......

Riiiiiight, the Yankees get beat a couple of times, and all of a sudden, they're owned. How about spanking the Braves in 4 games four years ago? Beating the Mets in 5 three years ago? Let's compile a list of Yankees World Series wins with Red Sox World Series wins. There's a reason the Yankees have so much money to spend on players. Because they can win World Series WITHOUT spending money, which they've done plenty of times. The Red Sox can't win a World Series....well.....period. :D

And no, I've never been to Fenway, but I don't think I need to. Yankee Stadium > Fenway. This is a no-brainer.

Fenway is a beautiful park as well, however Walking into yankee stadium behind home plate and looking into the outfield is mezmorizing...of course i get the same way when I go to camden yards :)

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Sep 25 2003, 02:40 PM
Riiiiiight, the Yankees get beat a couple of times, and all of a sudden, they're owned. How about spanking the Braves in 4 games four years ago? Beating the Mets in 5 three years ago? Let's compile a list of Yankees World Series wins with Red Sox World Series wins. There's a reason the Yankees have so much money to spend on players. Because they can win World Series WITHOUT spending money, which they've done plenty of times. The Red Sox can't win a World Series....well.....period. :D

And no, I've never been to Fenway, but I don't think I need to. Yankee Stadium > Fenway. This is a no-brainer.

are you even a Baseball fan??? Do you even realize how the Yankees were over the last 20 years? The 80's they were one of the worst teams in Baseball. The farm system was a mess, spending money on rediculous players.

Like I said to steve over email, I would rather have a team that is competitive over the last 30 years then have a team that is dreadful and has no hopes for 15 years and then a team that is great for 15. The Red Sox (with the exception of 91-92) have fielded competitive teams in that time span......The difference is managerial skills. The Red Sox Have been without an Owner since the late 1970's when Tom Yawkee died. His wife then inherrited it, but didn't know a thing about Baseball. When she died, the team went into a trusdt inthe care of a Lawyer, who hired the most idiotic GM's in baseball. The reason our Farm system is the way it is is because every year, being as close as we are, they trade prospects and minor leaguers for overpaid 1 year rent a players who leave afterwards, or retire anyways. They finally have owners again, who have Hired a brilliant Baseball mind. Watch out, because now we have the Farm system building up again, he has made some trades and signed players that have worked out for cheap money to long contracts. How can you argue with the production of David Ortiz, Bill Mueller, and Todd Walker?

oh, and in case you don't read ESPN, they have been doing a season long tour of Major league Stadiums and they have ranked them all from best to worst, and Yankee stadium doesn't rank that high, from the poor views, to the obnoxious ushers...

here is the link to the Yankee Stadium tour (I love the title "Bronx Bombs")
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/ballparks/yankee.html

And here is the link to Fenway Park
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/ballparks/fenway.html

Originally posted by sisteve@Sep 25 2003, 02:57 PM
Fenway is a beautiful park as well, however Walking into yankee stadium behind home plate and looking into the outfield is mezmorizing...of course i get the same way when I go to camden yards :)

Hows Albert bell workin out for ya? Or, should I say, Hows that 7 year contract that the O's are STILL paying on after he has been retired for the last 4 years workin for ya??? ;)

ha! neither of them stack up to camden :)

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/ballparks/camden.html

And I will agree with you Bill, taht the red sox have made considerable strides to become more competitive, I wish the orioles owner would take the same strides and stop buying high priced athletes that eat up the DL list *cough albert belle*cough* However, it seems as though the birds are on the rebound trying to rebuild the pro team as well as teh farm system, MLB prospects are placing them to be in contention much more next season...

The playoffs are goign to be great, there is a lot of talent in the teams that are goig to be vying for the top spot this year

Originally posted by quicksi+Sep 25 2003, 10:04 AM-->
@Sep 25 2003, 02:57 PM

Hows Albert bell workin out for ya? Or, should I say, Hows that 7 year contract that the O's are STILL paying on after he has been retired for the last 4 years workin for ya??? ;)

doh! you beat me too it. Albert Bell = worst waste of money ev4r!

Wow, OK, the Yankees were bad in the 80's. Is it OK that we give them a decade off after dominating baseball for years? Now they're back on track and resuming their secondary goal of dashing the Red Sox's playoff hopes. :)

Yeah, I'll watch out for the Red Sox in the coming years, just like, as a Denver Broncos fan, I'll watch out for the Cincinatti Bengals making a playoff run.

I understand Red Sox fans' bitterness, not having won a World series in nearly a century, and having their one chance smashed by a man named Bill Buckner, but they've also got to get off their high horse and realize that the Red Sox aren't as good as the pedestal their fans put them on.

Having a couple of good players doesn't make a good team. Good teams knuckle down under pressure, when it's crunch time, and win championships. Inferior teams choke when the pressure is on.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Sep 25 2003, 10:12 AM
Wow, OK, the Yankees were bad in the 80's. Is it OK that we give them a decade off after dominating baseball for years? Now they're back on track and resuming their secondary goal of dashing the Red Sox's playoff hopes. :)

Yeah, I'll watch out for the Red Sox in the coming years, just like, as a Denver Broncos fan, I'll watch out for the Cincinatti Bengals making a playoff run.

I understand Red Sox fans' bitterness, not having won a World series in nearly a century, and having their one chance smashed by a man named Bill Buckner, but they've also got to get off their high horse and realize that the Red Sox aren't as good as the pedestal their fans put them on.

Having a couple of good players doesn't make a good team. Good teams knuckle down under pressure, when it's crunch time, and win championships. Inferior teams choke when the pressure is on.

One point to be made...Yes Billy Buckner phucked up that ground ball, however, that was in Game 6, there was still a Game 7 to be played which they obviously lost!

:lol: :p

we can make it to the playoffs fine with or without the yankees help thank you....Just look at the standings

Thats not even a comparable statement....try using something more u pto date, like Comparing us to the rams......The win once, then they get close but can't do it again......or the eagles.......

I don't blame Bill Buckner..I blame Both Shciraldi and Stanley for allowing all those bloop singles to put Buckner in that position. Problem is, no one realizes or cares to remember that we wouldn't have even BEEN in the World series if it wasn't for Buckner and his offense. But being a NY fan, and most likely too young to even REMEMBER the game or the season.....

It has VERY little to do with buckling under pressure. It all comes down towho has the best talent and who is the hot team at that given moment. Look at Anaheim last year. They had decent talent and were hot. Do you think the angels would have been in that position without Tim Salmon, Aaron Sele, or David Eckstein??? Hell no, bu they still have the talent and are going to rattle off close to 80 wins this year, the difference is, they got hot..........

Originally posted by sisteve+Sep 25 2003, 03:19 PM-->
dohcvtec_accord
@Sep 25 2003, 10:12 AM

One point to be made...Yes Billy Buckner phucked up that ground ball, however, that was in Game 6, there was still a Game 7 to be played which they obviously lost!

:lol: :p

They had a two game lead so they had it setup for Clemens to pitch Game 6 and secure the game (stupid move) which he did until the pitchers came in on reliefe and gave up those bloop singles to put men on base........

after that, they had all dead arms in the pen form the previous games......

I admit, it was a stupid managerial decision to not keep Clemens fresh for a possible game 7....arrogance as it may......

Yeah, I know the Sox can make it to the playoffs just fine. The Yanks just like being the ones to stop them dead in their tracks. Well, not last year anyway.

Actually, I do remember that the Mets beat the Sox in games 6 and 7 of the World Series in 86. I remember watching it on TV. I think it was even Mookie Wilson that hit the ground ball, but I could be wrong about that. And by the way, I was 9 years old when I watched that Series.

And what you said about having talent is pretty much what I said. You can have some good players, but if nothing comes together to form wins (i.e. teamwork) then you're screwed.

your right, Mookie wilson hit that ball, but that wasn't the reason for the ultimate collapse... It just sucks the worst player on the other team gets the tying run across......

Come on now, Mookie wasn't the worst player on that team. Alright, maybe he wasn't the best with a bat, but he was a pretty good outfielder. Gary Carter, at least in his twilight years, was pretty damn bad. The Mets kept him around too damn long.

Back