how can i find out where a vaccum leak is

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

taasoek

i found out that my motor has a vaccum leak and was woundering how would i find out where it is from....reply asap...thanx

first question i have is how did you find out you have a vaccum leak?? second the best way to find out where you have a leak is go thur all your hoses and feel for suction if you don't feel any coming from the hose move to the next one or if you pinch the lines and nothing happens that might be the one that is leaking. what is the car doing for it to have a leak? or for you to think you have a leak?

if you have something that will make smoke you can always blow that under the hood with the car running and look for it getting sucked in or blown away

also you can use carb and choke cleaner... or ether/starting fluid, but use it carefully... spray it till you notice a sudden diffrence... carb and choke cleaner, if not flammable, will stall or de-idle the motor, starter fluid will increase the idle...

Originally posted by taasoek@Apr 8 2005, 06:24 PM
i found out that my motor has a vaccum leak and was woundering how would i find out where it is from....reply asap...thanx
[post=484899]Quoted post[/post]​

use a carb cleaner and spray on the intake side, if you have a leak you will hear the rpm go up!

Originally posted by fongman+May 5 2005, 11:43 PM-->
@Apr 8 2005, 06:24 PM

use a carb cleaner and spray on the intake side, if you have a leak you will hear the rpm go up!
[post=495798]Quoted post[/post]​

Of all the intake leaks i have had when i sprayed into them the RPMs fell down :huh:

Originally posted by fongman+May 5 2005, 11:43 PM-->
@Apr 8 2005, 06:24 PM

[post=495798]Quoted post[/post]​

Are you saying to spray carb cleaner into the TB/IM if you suspect a vacuum leak, and if the idle jumps up, you have a leak? Meaning that the reason why it jumped up because air is escaping somewhere else? I also suspect a vacuum leak so i'm paying attention to this thread. Thx

spray all over the intake manifold, dont spray into the TB, spray around the TB,all over the manifold, and all the vacuum lines, also spray the brake Booster.
It is not that air is escaping elsewhere, it is sucking air from elsewhere, the idle should drop as you spray into the leak.

Back