how can i get off the check engine light?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

racecarl

i just put new headers on, and i am running straight exhaust. i don't think i need to explain this, but they throw the code for not having a cat. is there something i can do to just get the light off so it doesn't check that anymore? can i just unpull the clips where the wires meet together? i was also thinking i could have the ecu remapped later... please help. thanks. :huh: i'm stuck on this one.

Not having a cat doesn't set off a CEL. Not having an o2 sensor there will though. You don't want to bypass your CEL, you need it to tell you something is wrong with the car. You can turn it off by resetting the ECU, but if the problem persist, the CEL will come back.

I have a 99 civic hatch, is the ecu reset button ON the ecu?? I couldn't find it.

You can't find it, because it doesn't exist. You have to reset it, but I am not sure if you can just disconnect the battery like the OBD I ones.

way easier than i thought... i just unplugged the main wire set from the ECU with the key in the on position (car not running) and the CEL popped right off. everything is well. thanks for the input too, you got me thinking.

uh ohhhhhhhh... :unsure:
after three days of the light being off, it kind of weasled itself back on. that little bitch! anyway, i checked for all exhaust leaks and what not and there are NONE. the o2 sensors are in there good and i also checked the intake sensors. everything seems in working order... what should i do? i've read a bunch of stuff about people knowing what codes their ecu throws, how can i read that? doesn't it require some super kajillion dollar software i have to buy?

Take it by autozone. If you have a CEL they will come out and run their diagnostic tool for free. The light has to be on tho.

Mine said malfunctioning 3rd gear
Malfunctioning 4th gear
You know what that meant??? REBUILD THE TRANNY!!!
That sucked.

All you gotta to dpo is reset the ECU. To do this, disconnect the negative side of the battery, for about a minute. Reconnect it and then the computer should be reset from there on. :spin:

I think he wants to find out what code it is, not just reset it.
Oh yeah. Advance Auto parts does that too. I'm not sure about Pep Boys. We don't have one here.

Back