How can I tell which engine I have????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

REDMAC

Trick or treat
I just bought a theft recovery 94 Del SOl figuiring it was a S or SI since the engine was not labelled Vtec nor is the rest of the car labelled. I call Honda and found that I actually have an EX and it should have a Vtec DOHC. I would like to add some preformance mods but I can't figure out what engine is in this car. how can I tell which engine is in this car.

look at the block. there will be some number and letters stamped into it. it will say something like D16Z6

What does the engine look like?
On the left side of the exhaust manifold on the front of the block there will be an engine code.
If it's a single cam, are the spark plugs on the front of the valve cover or on the back of the valve cover?

get_nick said:
look at the block. there will be some number and letters stamped into it. it will say something like D16Z6
ooooo you beated me!

Thanks I just got back into work. I go out in a minute and check for the stamp. Thanks for the help!!!!!!

Here is a b16

b16.jpg

Here is a D16Z6

z6.jpg

Which one does yours look like.

Neither one. but I just looked and found out it's a d15b7.... yukk Like i said it was a theft recovery I thought tht the engine had been swapped out.. I only paid 2k for the car so still not bad deal. But now it's time to build an engine....good times.....Thanks for all your help....

Question now for the money do i go back to the vtec b16 that came originally or find b18???

ill say this, b16 del sols are slow, gsr del sols are still slow, but not quite as bad. the h22 swap isnt worth mentioning.

I just started getting sucked into the import world and quickly becoming an obsession. I would like to get this car around 260hp. Enough to be respectable. This will most likely turn into the old lady's car and I will start on another. What engine would suggest to start with keeping a budget in mind. I want to keep engine cost under4k total.

Back