How did you feel during your swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

spectacle

As few of you may know, the 4 door turtle is getting a B16 + auto - manual swap. I dropped my car off this morning, and should have it back by friday. I should be happy yes? but for some reason I feel a little down. My baby is gone, in the hands of another. Hopefully I feel better when I get it back

Originally posted by FFCiv@Jul 14 2004, 02:06 AM
wuss.... shops suck :p

yea yea yea lol. if this was my little project car or weekend beater, ya i woulda attempted it, but its my daily and only car so i didn't wanna take the chance of mucking wit it.

You know what irks me the most is not being able to see it go through its transformation. I LOVE the pics in the projects that are posted on this forum, especially the way B broke his down day by day. And going out to see it each day is pretty much out of the question because its a 30 min drive in Tampa traffic just to get to the shop after i get off work. I just feel really down right now. I don't know why

I went every weekend (3 weeks total) until mine was done, and it was being done in the next state over. :lol:

Originally posted by Calesta@Jul 14 2004, 02:43 AM
I went every weekend (3 weeks total) until mine was done, and it was being done in the next state over. :lol:

that's pretty hardcore man. what took so long??

a swap takes 2 days...

its everythign else that takes forever

I let someone do work to my civic once (costed a decent amount of coin+had my car for 30 days+the car was 280 miles away from me in orlando+wrong axles+gave me a first gen with a ITR IM and restamped head+ecu codes, wrong AC bracket which in turn fell off one day causing me to lose my AC) I was fucking livid.

Then I did it myself (rewired properly, got the right ecu "fucker put a p72 onto a b16??, got the proper axles, and converted her to cable) best ride since with no cels and started up everyday and ran like a bat out of hell.

I learned to do my own work, cause it really isn't that difficult, and have your buddies help out, but all in all I know your feeling.

hope it turns out good for you.

Originally posted by spectacle+Jul 13 2004, 10:15 PM-->
@Jul 14 2004, 02:43 AM
I went every weekend (3 weeks total) until mine was done, and it was being done in the next state over.  :lol:

that's pretty hardcore man. what took so long??

Waiting for OEM Honda bearings from Japan that were on national backorder.... and this was immediately after 9/11. Shipping wasn't going too fast back then. If we didn't have to worry about the bearings, it would have been done in a week.

Swaps at Intercrew take more like 4 hours though... they pump out 2 swaps every day for weeks at a time when business is moving. Of course, most of those don't involve taking an engine apart and building it, sending a block to a machine shop for work etc..

man i planned my b16a to crx swap for about 6 months to a year, gathering info and talking to friends. i bought my 88 si off of autotrader from a guy in SD, CAL. i'm from omaha, NEB, so it was a nice fly out and bitchen road trip back. the radiator went bad in Nevada because it was like 300 degrees out there and i had to get it replaced at a firestone in some small town. i got my rex home and it sat for six months untouched. why? because i didn't have the title, which the guy was suppost to mail me two weeks after i got it from him. its a long story! i finally got it and a few weeks later my motor was on the way. it took me and my buddy about 6 weeks to get the old motor out and the new one in working in the evenings and weekends. waiting for parts and shit sucks. even though i thought i had everything planned out well, it still took a lot longer then i expected. a few of my buddies did all of the wiring for me because it was a little overwhelming. they own a small speed shop in iowa, so i had no problem letting them take over. i gave them my old D16 for the work and that was that. its up and running and now i'm just waiting for my exhaust in the mail, rsr ex mag. i hate buying shit online(ebay) it seems i always have problems. i've been waiting for this exhaust for over a month now. i hope i have better luck in the future. even though i have had some problems i wouldn't change anything, it was a great experience!

I felt tired. I knew what was wrong and what had to be done. I don't think I would want a shop to do it, unless I had no way of doing it myself.

i thought i could have my car done in 2 weeks.......wrong
ive done just about all the work myself and being as ive never done more than changed my own oil its taking a while
my car has been down since the beginning of june
and i had every part i needed, the engine sat for 9 months and i had been gathering other parts since last november
no matter how much planing you do you need to plan for the worst

My swap was a lot of fun, and a lot of frusteration. There was always more money for me to spend, but it was sooooo much fun. Hanging out 8hrs a day in my garage with my buddy trying to make shit work was awsome. I'd do it again, and probably will. The only way to go is doing it yourself though. You learn so much about your car its incredible.

I felt overwelled my first time pulling an engine (the engine out of a GSR) After I had a shit load of things just not work for me, I felt like giving up. Finally, I managed to find a way past the stuck axles, the bitch pin, and F-up Tie rods, I felt pretty happy knowing I just pulled my first engine.

2 weeks later when I pulled the engine out of my car, I had it out in about 6 hours, and I did it single handly. Next day I cleaned the engine bay up, and droped the GSR engine in. Other then a bad tie rod that was holding me back, I had the swap done that weekend.

Back