how do i break a stuck axle nut?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ryangt

the axle nut on the driver side of my 90 crx hf is stuck so freaking tight i have no idea how to get it off

first i tried wd-40 and time then tapping it with the mini sledge and then using the 32mm socket and a 1/2 in breaker bar about a foot long.... nothing

I sat with my torch on it for a good 5 min. then tried again.....nothing.

Tried screaming at it...........Nothing

kicked it and threated its life........... nothing

what else can i do to get this damn thing off. I dont have an air compressor and i dont have an impact or anything like that. Just muscle and a cute girlfriend to hold the brake pedal down haha

please save my ass guys

thanks in advance :angry:

You aren't screaming enough.

:huh:

What I did was take a Craftsman 1/2" drive socket, jam it in the end of a 4 foot long section of galvanized pipe (so that the wrench was stuck in the pipe), put it on that mofo, and had me and one of my friends jump on it for a while.

i guess thats my next course of action, im gonna go tell it how disapointed i am with it, maybe i can guilt it off :D

use the breaker bar but put a long ass pipe on the end. You should be able to get enough leverage to pop that soma bitch.

Yeah definatly a breaker bar... On the last car i did that to, the nut was indented on the top into a notch on the axle. if it is tap that out and see if it helps

Also how much do you weigh? We had 250 "gently" bouncing on the bar.. and that even took a while to break it free.

im about 210 so i should be able to break it loose, i broke the other one off by hand but this ones bein a biatch

anyone know where i can get new axle nutts at?

I got a huge ass like 3ft long craftsman socket wrench I use (my mom found it on the side of the road hahaha), maybe pull off a buy and return at sears :shrug2:

Originally posted by ryangt@Jan 4 2005, 10:29 PM
where you at in cali bro? wanna come to rubidoux and help get that bitch off haha
[post=441282]Quoted post[/post]​

Wheres that at? Im in the 909/626 area. Glendora if you know where that is. Lets make it easy on both of us and bring it over to my place and use the impact gun.

i just finished a nut on a 93 intrepid we tried the 1/2 impact for a good 5 mins nothing then we brought out the 1" broke a socket twice still nothing i ended up siting there with a cold chisle for 4.5hrs trying to crack it off needless to say I WON

hey keep that info to yourself haha im not tryin to hear 4 1/2 hours with a f'in chisel im trying to think happy thoughts haha

oh and yeah im in 951 riverside, id drive it there but everything off except the driver side axle and the trans itself not to driveable hah but good offer

well man i think thats the worst i have ever even heard of then it happend to me? just saying things can go bad really fucking fast

i used a regular 3/8" wrench and the 2 1/2 ft pipe that came with my hoist.

Had the girl hold the brake and just hop on it once and it broke free. I wieght like a buck forty.

On your wheels, take the center caps off then put your wheel back on and lower the car. This makes it so you can apply as much pressure as you want but not have to worry about haveing the axle spin on your. If the breaker bar in the pipe doesn't work, put the breaker bar parallel to the floor and with a floor jack, jack up the end of the breaker bar. If that doesn't work, add a pipe on the end and do it again. Lets say if there is 600lbs of the cars weight being exerted on that corner, with a 2 foot bar, your applying 1200lbsft of trq onto that nut. It will break loose

Easiest way- pop out your center cap, bolt the wheel back up and set the car back down on the ground. Throw the socket in there and go at it with the longest pipe you've got.

Originally posted by Calesta@Jan 5 2005, 12:14 PM
Easiest way- pop out your center cap, bolt the wheel back up and set the car back down on the ground. Throw the socket in there and go at it with the longest pipe you've got.
[post=441390]Quoted post[/post]​

exactly, but even then, sometimes it doesn't work well lol. I was doing it on a freinds car with his tools. He had an offbrand 1/2drive breakerbar. We were working in his dads shop and all he had were really long pipes. The shortest one was probally 12 ft long. I get at the end and my freind was holding the socket on, I lightly push down (maybe 60 or so lbs force down) and then the breaker bar drive practially shattered.

lmao

instead of having someone on the brake just put a f'in screwdriver in your rotor slots... this will keep the wheel from turning no matter no much force you use...

did you pound out the indentation on the axle nut? i assume you have but some people don't... if you didn;t its a lot harder to get the nut off...

your torch should do the trick, just get the son of a bitch nice and cherry red and throw your socket on it...

sounds like a normal impact won't help you at all... you need a real deal gun to get that son of a bitch off...

i also assume you are doing the tranny in the car? if thats the case then just undo the bottom ball joint and then pull the whole spindle away and you should be able to get your axle to slide out of the tranny, this will work if you don;t need to change or replace your axle...

you can get axle nuts at honda, auto zone, napa, advance auto, etc

auto zone may have a loaner tool, like a big ass breaker bar you could get from them... but i def recommend the screwdriver in the rotor and then a ratchet or breaker bar with a big mofo'in pipe...

i've experienced some that just never ever come off, and then the lower ball joint trick works lovely as long as you are just doing a tranny and don't NEED the axle out...

Back