how do i build a lsvtec when its my daily driver

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I don't understand what the fascination with the LS-V setup is. Why not just stick with a tried and true GSR. There's a reason Honda didn't manufacture an LS-V. I've heard more than enough LS-V horror stories. Going that route is just about as original as swapping a GSR in there anyways. Don't waste your time and just get a GSR.

Probably because when they were first starting to get popular, people would build them with big pistons and cams for the same price or cheaper than an entire GSR swap... and so people thought just combining the VTEC head with the non-VTEC block automatically meant an awesome engine. Nope. Gotta work the insides too.

Probably because when they were first starting to get popular, people would build them with big pistons and cams for the same price or cheaper than an entire GSR swap... and so people thought just combining the VTEC head with the non-VTEC block automatically meant an awesome engine. Nope. Gotta work the insides too.

This. I remember when there was a mystique about Frankenstein engines because they were almost always some sick build inside, now it's slap a stock head on a stock block, and add the oil lines done, meh, no point, just get a GSR, or ITR engine. Just about the only Frank I think is worth it is a poor mans ITR, and even then only if you can source the parts cheap.

(Noob alert)
hello i'm also working on a lsv build and was wondering if my friends b18a1 block is going to work with my b16a2 head as they are different obd? does this matter or should i just buy a b18b1 now? im also going for a "super ultra light" turbo build do you think stock/cast pistons can take it "trying to save money's".... i'll be getting the crank balanced with new rods. =0 also what company makes good lsv rods as they are longer right? or is it the swing that gives the ls its longer stroke. ty
also i hate to ask but can someone send me in the right direction for PROPERLY taking apart and rebuilding a b series engine.... guide/tutorial pics would be great.

n00b = go read up in the reference section. :)

OBD revision specific electronics are almost all in the head, don't worry about the block.

Stock pistons can handle some boost or revs, but if you're limited on money, it's a LOT easier to put in pistons/rods now and turbo later than it is to "put in pistons/rods later". Think about it. If you're upgrading rods, just upgrade the pistons too.

The crank gives the extra stroke. The rods you want are the B18A/B length rods to match the crank and the block.

I don't even think the "poor man's ITR" is worth it. If you have the whole GSR engine, just use it.

Exactly, which is why they have to be cheeeaaap to do it :p. With the cost difference between a GSR, and an ITR you can more than make up the difference in power.

I'm building a ls vtec that spun a bearing but I got lucky I got one that was built it was in 94teg it has cam cam gears eagle rods wiseco pistons type r intake 72mm throttlebody valves valve spring and other stuff but I only payed 800 $ u no there's three times that it the motor if I was to make a daily driver I would go with the gsr these motors are put together to run hard mine red lines at 8400 and the rev limited is set for 9500 but cams still have life at that rpm u don't want to drive that everyday

Back