How do I buy a domain name and create a website?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BigJ

I'm just about that action Boss.
VIP
So I wanna buy a domain name, or see if its available. I sorta feel like a retard on this. I haven't done this in a few years, and before my friend took care of the actual setup.

How do I go abouts purchasing a specific domain name? ie. MyName.com is now for sale !.

I'm trying to do this for business purposes as I'll be starting an LLC probably in the next year and hopefully taking a stake with my father in our family business.

Go to a service like Melbourne IT or Go Daddy and register the domain name of your choice. Dont pick any special add ons of any kind if you plan on hosting it yourself. Go Daddy provides hosting if your looking to get something up quick. Then don't forget to direct the dns queries to your name servers for your domain and add the appropriate CNAME records in each of your dns servers and your all good.

That's a real quick general outline. ask if you need specifics :)

I host yblegal.net on my own, with my own dns in house.

Most people have said this, just not in an organized way.

You need 3 things to host a web site:

1) A registered domain name.
2) DNS (Domain name service) provider, so your domain name can be translated into an IP address.
3) Hosting.

1)
This one is pretty easy. Go to Networksolutions.com or godaddy.com and grab the domain you want. If i recall, network solutions and go daddy both do dns hosting, so this might take care of #2 right off the bat.

2)
DNS. Most hosting providers give you dns as part of your hosting. As do most Registrars. If the one you picked doesnt, you can always go to some place like easydns.com and pay for the service from them. Remember to set your authoritative dns records...or else your site will not work and youll just end up at a (this site is currently under construction) page.

3)
Hosting is arguably the most difficult and important step. I look for people that offer free database services with at least 10-20GB of web space and 10-20GB of bandwidth. There are a lot of those UNLIMITED BANDWIDTH, UNLIMITED STORAGE type people and you always end up getting hosed by them. Id recommend once you find a deal that you like call their help desk up and see how long it takes for them to answer...just so you get an idea of what support is going to be like. If they have a long queue or you end up on a voice mail after a few minutes of the phone ringing, you can bet that your service experience isnt gonna be the best.

I can recommend Hostglobe.com providing you with: Web Hosting Service, Web Hosting Solutions, Web Hosting Plans, Web Hosting Packages, Web Page Hosting, Web Page Service, Web Page Solutions, Web Page Plans, Web Page Packages, Web Site Hosting, Web Site Service, Web I used to work there, and the support team is awesome. They are a 'sister' (read same employees just different name) company of NeoSpire Managed Hosting - Application Hosting - Database Hosting So you are basically getting Enterprise service for a consumer level product. And they do DNS hosting for you. So if you want to skimp on the registrar, they'll do all that as part of your package. They also offer Windows and Linux environments. So if you do standard HTML or ASP youll end up on a windows 2000 box. .NET youll be on a windows 2003 box, and php and perl will put you on a debian box. When i worked there they didnt support JSP customers unless they were on a dedicated solution. I dont know if thats still true or not.

Its really good stuff. And if you decide you need/want a dedicated server later on, they will set you up with your move to NeoSpire. All in all...everything is taken care of.

Last edited:
NEVER EVER EVER get a free .com or a .com that comes with ahosting package.

THEY will own it, so when you want to leave that hosting provider, you end up losing your name half the time. that's how they get you to host with them forever.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. This cleared up a lot for me.

Back