1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I change ball joints

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by KloggMonkey, Jul 29, 2004.

1. KloggMonkey

KloggMonkey Member

The book I have only covers repairs for 84-95 civics ...
    (stupid... but hey I've done all my repairs so far with out the right book... and a 98 spec ITR swap with no book too...)

It claims that in order to change the upper ball joint you must buy the whole upper control arm....

However I have come home with just the new ball joints from napa...??? They couldn't sell a replacement part that is impossible to use would they?

anyone changed balljoints on a 96 hatch before
    ???
    I am thinking that I can take the upper control arm off and have the ball joint pressed in and out at my local machine shop.... just like the lower ones......RIGHT???

Also I have replaced my rear wheel bearings... how do I do the front ones.....?

2. NoJokE

NoJokE Senior Member

Have the ball joints pressed in at the local machine shop.

3. ohmstable

ohmstable Senior Member

I believe you have to have the front bearing pressed in. Take the spindle off and take it to the machine shop to have that done.

4. racintweek

racintweek Senior Member

:wtf:

just replace the whoe upper arm
    you wont have to take your new balljoints some where when your car isnt operable
    and you have a new control arm with new bushings(easiest time to press them out to put in eurathane)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted