how do i change my head gasket..??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

chicken

i got a 94 GSR and i got oil leaking and i think its from my head gasket.. theres oil dripping down from the tranny.. and its all over.. not quite sure how to explain it though.. i cant see where its coming from exactly.. but how do i change my head gasket..

Remove head
Remove gasket
Clean up mating surfaces
Put head back on

Easy. :eek:

Go get a factory service manual- it will walk you through step-by-step, show you any special tools you might need (you won't), and show you a chart with all the proper tolerances you need to hold to after you take everything apart.

Originally posted by chicken@Jun 10 2005, 03:16 PM
i got a 94 GSR and i got oil leaking and i think its from my head gasket.. theres oil dripping down from the tranny.. and its all over.. not quite sure how to explain it though.. i cant see where its coming from exactly.. but how do i change my head gasket..
[post=510827]Quoted post[/post]​

doesnt sound like your head gasket.
sounds like either your valve cover is leaking or your dist. is leaking
your best bet is to go to a car wash and spray off your motor and then drive it for a day or two and check to see where the oil is coming from.
make sure you spray off your motor well.

If it's leaking down from the tranny, it's possible it could be the rear main seal.

But do as Ripperbone said and clean off the motor and see where it's leaking from, you don't want to have to change a headgasket for no reason.

my money is on the cheesey oring seal on the dizzy...for some damn reason i have to replace quite often on the y8....this next time im putting the fattest o-ring in there i can fit!!!!

rear mains do go bad in honda manuals. Happened to me and my input shaft got all scored up from it and totally screwed my tranny up.

before you do anythign; take teh advice. Spray engine degreaser all over your block/oily areas, then use a high power water stream to clean it all up. drive around and see where the leak is coming from.

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Jun 10 2005, 06:34 PM
i doubt its the RMS, I've never seen one in a honda leak.

e goes for the VC gasket.
[post=510889]Quoted post[/post]​

When I pulled my D16, that's exactly where it was leaking from.

That seal holds a lot of pressure, and after 100k+ miles, it's bound to go. It could be it or it could be something simpler. Never know with cars...

well then...i stand corrected

I would still search the other options first

a HG, VC and dizzy job is less time consuming then a RMS

thanks for all the advice but theres no oil leaking from above the head.. i did the HG about 2 weeks ago.. and the cam seal is fine.. ahh.. ill do the clean advice.. thanks.. ill get back to you all.. and if it is the head gasket.. do i just take the damn thing off and put it back on.. or are there certain things i need to do.. concerning placement of cams and cam gears.. or does the head come off as one piece.. thanks..

maybe you put the HG on wrong. get a new one if you take the head off, get a new VC cover too

you NEED to time it after you pull it off.

the RMS s behind the flywheel

there is also an oil additive you can throw in your oil (cant remember the product name), that makes your oil responsive to black light. This makes it much easier to trace the source of the leak. You simply add a small bottle of this to your engine oil, drive it around for a day or two, then go under the hood with a black light and any leaked oil will show up flourcent green.....makes it easy to find the source.
I dunno...thats what we used at Honda. I'll post up the name of the product if I can remember it.

[/quote]

your best bet is to go to a car wash and spray off your motor and then drive it for a day or two and check to see where the oil is coming from.
make sure you spray off your motor well.
[post=510859]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

my bro has a 92 prelude with the same problem...kinda...would you have to cover anything up before you spray the motor? or just spray away.

you dont have to cover electronics but definatley dont use a high pressure water stream on a distributor or alternator or wire harnes plug. ive never covered anything while cleaning a motor and ive yet to have a problem.

Back