how do i fix quarter panels?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Slammed90Lude

so yeah, the hatch...when i bought it.....had major rust on the two back wheel wells- like all the way through etc...and also the body over the back window (it's a hatch) has three dents in it- any clue on how i can fix these- I've been told it's impossible to replace quarter panels, but i found them for sale- i just don't know how to go about it- thanks in advance for the help boys-

well its not something you wanna go about doing urself (rear 1/4s)...requires welding cutting and a whole lotta otyher bullshit, same with repairing. You can do it like i did, and just use fiberglass filler, cloth and plastic body filler. As for the dents they can be pulled most likey or even filled with body filler.

yeah i know that it isn't something simple- i just don't wanna fill because i had working with that shit- I can weld pretty well and between me and my buddy i was hoping we could popo a new one on both sides-

do a search i wrote up some info on this awhile ago, if you dont find it let me know and ill tell you how.

ehhh couldn't find it- i'm prolly not looking in the right place- if you kind find the URl and just paste it up for me that would be great- thx

If u want i do this crap for a living and if u need any help u can shoot me an e-mail at EdrikLongtail@hotmail.com or Aim: EdrikLongtail just tell me ur from the honda boards and ill help ya best way i can. Depending if this is ur 2nd car or w/e, may i suggest looking at tech schools in ur area that do autobody?. Im a Junior at my tech high school and we charge for parts and supplies and 9.50 hour flat rate. I mean we have overhauls come in and get charge less then 250 dollars(that could easly be 3000 anywhere else) (we use omni :),PpG's ugly cousion but cheap as all hell,lol but good as PpG and sickems ect..ect..) I mean u could get done for cheap but also help some futher autobody techs. but thats just my 2 cents

i appreciate that a lot bro- where are you from? maybe i could bring it by, or otherwise i'll prolly throw you an email while i'm getting into this over christmas break

i live in the east cost area CT actually. Basicly repairing ur car all the same but theirs 1,000,000,000 ways to do it and Cali u need water type paints because of emissions and crap but besides that i would help ya..

man you can weld get a grider cut all the rust of and weld a piece of sheet metal in the place were the hole is and tap the corners were the new pieces meet at and put some bondo it easyer the replacing the whole thing

yeah i couldnt find it either, i mist've sent it via pm, anyway, if the existing quarter is in anyway salvageable i would try to find some patch panels and weld them in instead. but if the quarter is really fuct and you need a whole new quarter i would still reccomend bringing it to a body shop, you dont want to get nuts deep into this thing and have it turn out like ass, i have been doing bodywork for about uhm...5 years now? working in shops, associates degree in autobody yadda yadaa and quarter panels are a BITCH even though ive put on over 50 i still dread putting them on. to do it properly your going to need a ton of tools, ton of time, and even if you get it on your still going to have it painted. by the time your done paying for the tools and materials you could've paid a shop to do it for the same price.

yeah you're prolly right- i mean i can spray pretty well, but massive body work like a quarter panel doesn't real seem feasible to me, expecially considering that i'm a hack welder at best- i can mig ok but that's about it

yeah if welding isnt your thing id stay away from a quarter as your first experiance because you'll be doing about 100+ 8mm plug welds and grinding them after that, then bondo, sanding, more sanding, primer, more sanding etc.

Back