How Do I Install Oil Pressure Gauge?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

importimage

I picked up a electrical autometer oil pressure gague. All I need to know is:

1. Where do I acutally tap a hole somewhere in the block or.......?

I have got all the wiring plummed up already.

Thanks

I am going to assume that this is not an LSVTEC or B20VTEC.

Get an LSVTEC oil line kit or make one of your own. Remove the oil pressure sender from the back of the block. Attach the braided line there. On the other end of the braided line attach a T fitting. In the remaining 2 holes from the T install your sending unit for your gauge and the oil pressure sending unit from the engine block. Ziptie the T to the firewall somewhere secure. There you go.

Forget the LS/VTEC line kit. Go to a hardware store and get a brass tee with female 1/8 in pipe threads in it and a male-male nipple also 1/8 in pipe thread.

1. Remove the oil pressure sending unit above the oil filter
2. Put the male nipple in one of the ends of the tee and install the pressure sending units for the oil pressure gauge and the oil light in such a manner that it will all fit in properly without hitting anything when you thread it in to the block.
3. Re-attach the oil pressure wires for the gauge and the light and route the wires for the gauge through the firewall and hook it up to the gauge.

Important: dont use teflon tap or anything like that on the threads, it wont ground properly and your oil light and possibly gauge wont work ( speaking from experience )

s3ec6cb7c68fbe.jpg

word on the brass T... the aluminum one i got with my lsvtec kit leaked oil and did not ground

Originally posted by Canuck 93 Civic Si@May 17 2003, 04:59 PM
Forget the LS/VTEC line kit.  Go to a hardware store and get a brass tee with female 1/8 in pipe threads in it and a male-male nipple also 1/8 in pipe thread.

1. Remove the oil pressure sending unit above the oil filter
2. Put the male nipple in one of the ends of the tee and install the pressure sending units for the oil pressure gauge and the oil light in such a manner that it will all fit in properly without hitting anything when you thread it in to the block.
3. Re-attach the oil pressure wires for the gauge and the light and route the wires for the gauge through the firewall and hook it up to the gauge.

Important:  dont use teflon tap or anything like that on the threads, it wont ground properly and your oil light and possibly gauge wont work ( speaking from experience )

s3ec6cb7c68fbe.jpg

The problem here is the same problem that you have when using this method for an LSVTEC. That T is not particularly strong. It will work but you need to be really careful. I suggested the line because it takes the T out of harms way.

EDIT: The other spot you can use (if this is a DOHC VTEC B series) is up under the distro. There is a set screw plugging a hole there that is the same size as the oil pressure sender. Remove that set screw and install your sender there.

My set up is in fact a B20Vtec Turbo. What do you mean "distro". I am not a fan of using a "T" set up because they are a weak link. I do like this other idea you have proposed but need more details. Are you sure that I am not to use teflon tape....the autometer instructions say to use it!!

"EDIT: The other spot you can use (if this is a DOHC VTEC B series) is up under the distro. There is a set screw plugging a hole there that is the same size as the oil pressure sender. Remove that set screw and install your sender there."

I meant under your distributor. Where is your VTEC oil line run on the head? On the intake side of the head above the manifold, or to the side of the head?

Here is a pic. The hole I am talking about it toward the bottom of the pic, it has a blue set screw in it.
s3e715e37db2c4.jpg

Thanks for your help. I have hooked the gauge up behind the distributor. I have to use some angle fittings however to get it by the fuel rail. It looks tight. :D

Now I just need to know where to hook up the positive wire to???......I am assuming the battery would be dumb because it would always have the backlight on. I have to hook up the positives from my oil temp gauge and pyrometer as well. Basically I will have like 5 positive wires to hook up. Should I use a relay so a circuit does not overload OR should I tap in to one place????

splice into the positive wire that lights up your dash lights, youll have to do a little bit of hunting around but it will work perfectly.

Yeah, THey said not to use teflon tape, but I would suggest using some really high temp gas tape because if you don't the actual fitting will leak a good amount of oil when the car is going. Civic_88LS has that on his car, and yes when using teflon tape the fitting did leak a lot, which was fixed when using high gas fitting tape.

Back