How Do I Install....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Zerosk8r455

I just bought a skunk2 shortshifter today...and now i'm stuck. I own a '97 Honda Civic DX. Already took off the middle console where the e-brake is and where the stick itself is. There are only 2 bolts on the metal frame under the middle console, but it doesn't look like they are holding anything. And besides, they are composed of some really soft metal and they are square and i can't get them off without stripping them. Anyone know where i can find a walk-through or can someone walk me through it? All help is appreciated. Thanks.

::edit:: Btw, I don't have a service manual for my car, so telling me to refer to it wouldn't help. Yeah yeah i know..i need one. But i can't find any helms manuals around here and i don't want to have to have one shipped, nor do i want to waste $ on a Haynes.

you have to go from underneath the car and unbolt the shift linkages, there are 2 of them and I think the size of the bolts is a 12mm. once you undo those 2 bolts you should be able to pull the whole thing apart and insert the new shortshifter. it'll make more sense once you pull it apart, you'll be able to figure it out.

WARNING: make sure your car has had plenty of time to cool down or else you'll burn yourself trying to reach around the exhaust pipes.

AWESOME!!!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
I'm gonna try that in a few minutes...as soon as my friend comes over..
Oh..is it true i'm supposed to use some kind of lube? What kind of lubrication should i use? and how much? Thanks!

hey, make sure you have someone else to help you out. When I did it, I needed someone in the car to hold the bolt while I tightened it.

Simple grease should work fine, if worst comes to worst run some wd40

yeah while you are at it, I suggest replacing the bushings, and I used prelube when I did mine, it made a world of difference, like night and day y0!

Wow! i finished a few hours ago b4 church, and i am really impressed. Everything turned out fine. Makes driving more fun. The shifts feel smooth and short, just the way i like it. Thanks to all of you who helped!

spend the money on haynes and chilton it's well worth it. you would have saved your interior and the time. even the honda guide from the dealer is worth the $60 or so dollars that you will spend

Originally posted by get_nick@Apr 23 2003, 05:52 AM
spend the money on haynes and chilton it's well worth it. you would have saved your interior and the time. even the honda guide from the dealer is worth the $60 or so dollars that you will spend

fuck haynes and chilton, they are garbage and a waste of money. helms is the only way to go
http://www.helminc.com

Originally posted by B16+Apr 23 2003, 10:40 AM-->
@Apr 23 2003, 05:52 AM

fuck haynes and chilton, they are garbage and a waste of money. helms is the only way to go
http://www.helminc.com

:withstupid: Helms takes a fat shit on Chilton and Haynes.

a Haynes is only good on installing really simple stuff like an intake... :p j/k ...no seriously though, i like the Haynes wiring diagrams. that's the only thing i use a Haynes for. it's also useful for torque specs. having said all that, Helms is still the better choice.

Hey, is there a site where i can get a used helms manual for my car? i really really want a helms (you guys seem to get excited everytime you talk about them) but i don't really wanna spend $60 on one. Got any suggestions? Thanks.

P.S. i don't want a crappy Haynes or Chilton either.

doubt it, pay the $60, it will pay itself off the first time you use it to troubleshoot or fix something :) its undoubtedly the best 60 i've EVER spent on my car

Back