how do i know it's vtec?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

d15bsedan

i have a d15b that's swapped in a civic lx. it has the vtec solanoid port, but no solanoid. this guy i know says most single cams have the port, but don't necessarily have vtec.
help!

if it doesn't have a solenoid, it's not vtec. yes, they all have that little port there. it's common with single cams.

whats the motor code say is it just d15b, or is there some numbers after it

Single cam head castings have that spot where you would think a vtec control would go but, they are not all vtec. If it was a vtec head with no solienoid then you would lose oil outta of the back of the head. Sohc vtec contols are on the back, b series are on the front left side. you more than likely have a non vtec D15b, if your plugs are on the back of the head, its not vtec. SOHC's had the same head design from 88-95, they were changed in 96. These 88-95 castings all had the spot you speak of on the back og the head. Even if you bolt a vtec solinoid there you cannot make these heads vtec. Should be stamped on the front of the head...PM3, PM5, PM9. The vtec head would have the plugs located towards the front of the valve cover which I doubt yours does. The d15b Is a good engine with a vtec head on it though.

Take off the valve cover and you should have 4 oil jets going across the top of the cam caps. If you don't have any then more likely you have a non v-tec head.

i have a d16z6 but the valve cover does not say vtec the solenoid is their is this normal? does not having a vtec valve cover affect my horse power

i have a d16z6 but the valve cover does not say vtec the solenoid is their is this normal? does not having a vtec valve cover affect my horse power
i hope this is a joke lol, but yes thats normal, lots of 92 d16z6 came without vtec valve covers and more so this thread is old ass heeelll

Get a Type-R Valve cover that'll add like 500 hp.

will a y8 valve cover fit on it

Yeah...you know I was joking about the valve cover, right? Just the cover itself doesn't contribute to horsepower in any way...

To answer your question though, no, the Y8 cover won't work. Look for a Z6 valve cover, or just keep the one you've got. Does it really matter whether it says "VTEC" on it or not? You've got VTEC, that's what important...

the most interesting thread ever!!!!! i gots a d15b in my 90 si...with the vtec valve cover im runnin low 12's lol... soory i had to

hey does it matter if an ecu was from a auto instead of a manual trans

Yes. ecus from automatics only work in automatics, and ecus from manuals only work in manuals.

well i have a d16z6 on a p07 what would be the difference of putting a p28

Back