How do I know what model my car is?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

crombie09

Alrighty the guy I bought this 91 Civic HB from told me it was a DX. This is what it has:

4 speed manual
No PS
No Tach, just speedo, gas and temp guages
One side mirror, on the drivers side.

Is that enough info? -crombie09

I think the only 4 speeds were STDs, so it defenitly has the STD tranny

theres a code stamped on the front of the block, check it and well tell you as best we can

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Jan 7 2004, 08:30 PM
I think the only 4 speeds were STDs, so it defenitly has the STD tranny

theres a code stamped on the front of the block, check it and well tell you as best we can

The front of the block says d16a6 ;)

Its has an Si Motor in it. -crombie09

Originally posted by jlicrx@Jan 8 2004, 12:08 AM
sounds like "Standard" (STD) to me

So my car is mearly a 91 civic hatch? Thats it, no model? Is that bad? Should I get something else? -crombie

it's hard to tell since its swapped, it could be a DX with an SI engine and STD tranny. I hope you weren't the one who chose to use a 4 speed in it.

Read the title, it should tell you, also what's the difference if you know which model it is or not (not tryin to be a dick, just a ???)

Originally posted by 92civicb18b1@Jan 8 2004, 12:14 AM
it's hard to tell since its swapped, it could be a DX with an SI engine and STD tranny. I hope you weren't the one who chose to use a 4 speed in it.

Read the title, it should tell you, also what's the difference if you know which model it is or not (not tryin to be a dick, just a ???)

Nope just bought the car bro-

To you question about wanting to know the model: I want to know what kind of axles it has ;) Also it would be good to know just so I know what I'm driving ok? -crombie09

Does it have vinyl interior, and only one mirror? Does it have a rear wiper? How about intermittent wipers? Does it have a tach?

I'm betting STD model with an Si engine.

ok, heres the problem...

1) only HF's had one mirror (left), but they only came with 5-speed trans.

2) only DX's came with 4-speed AUTOMATIC. there werent any 4-speed manual trannies. are you sure you dont mean automatic? that would explain the absence of a tach.

3) the D16a6 is the Si engine, but the Si's did not some with 4-speed automatics. could be a swapped engine.

here are some telltale things to look for:

if it has....

- rear drum brakes it is either an HF or a DX
- no clock in the dashboard it is an HF
- no steering wheel adjustment, it is an HF
- if it is a '91 and is either torino red or celestial blue, its a DX
- a rear window wiper, its a DX
- a factory sunroof, it is an Si
- a cloth interior (including door panels) its an Si

Originally posted by sportlinecrx@Jan 8 2004, 05:02 AM
ok, heres the problem...

1) only HF's had one mirror (left), but they only came with 5-speed trans.

2) only DX's came with 4-speed AUTOMATIC. there werent any 4-speed manual trannies. are you sure you dont mean automatic? that would explain the absence of a tach.

3) the D16a6 is the Si engine, but the Si's did not some with 4-speed automatics. could be a swapped engine.

here are some telltale things to look for:

if it has....

- rear drum brakes it is either an HF or a DX
- no clock in the dashboard it is an HF
- no steering wheel adjustment, it is an HF
- if it is a '91 and is either torino red or celestial blue, its a DX
- a rear window wiper, its a DX
- a factory sunroof, it is an Si
- a cloth interior (including door panels) its an Si

this all sounds pretty good for a CRX - he happens to have a Civic hatch

Ok, I know the STD is the only model that came with a 4 speed MANUAL tranny. As far as options go can't tell ya. I haven't owed a civic earlier than 92.
92 Dx's had:
-rear wipers
-intermittet wipers
-NO dash clock
-adjustable steering wheel
-rear drums
-had a choice between wither 5 speed or 4 speed auto
-no tach

But since you have a 91, theres and easy way to tell if it was an Si, check to see if it has rear discs. If it does than you got an Si or it was swapped, if it has a clock it was either added or you have an Si. I don't know the fact about the sunroof thing for earlier models, but if its true only si's had sunroofs, its an easy way to either rule out or know what your car is.

I still think its an STD

ok.... the rear wiper will designate if it is a DX..

if it is an SI, it will have a sunroof... Rear Disks were a Mid-year change, so if it was built before the middle of the 1990 model year production run, it will not have disks..

If it has a 4 speed, it is an STD. in order to convert a DX to a 4-speed, you would also have to have the knuckles and hubs from the 4-speed car, which would be a ridiculous swap to make..

so, if you have a 4 -speed, no sunroof, and no rear wiper, you have a 1991 civic STD

hope that helps

You can check your vin # in the articles section. Sounds like a std, since it has the 4 speed and no power steering.

it's up to you with the vin, I don't know how to read the VIN in your case, and I personally don't know how it could affect anything if you put it on the internet, just like i don't understand why people block out their Liscence Plate numbers, If you have all documents in your name you should be fine. Unless you don't have a title I don't know what could happen. It's up to you.

If it has a 4 speed, it is an STD. in order to convert a DX to a 4-speed, you would also have to have the knuckles and hubs from the 4-speed car, which would be a ridiculous swap to make..

Because of this I really have to think it's an STD, no one would do this, even people who had transmission failure wouldn't, becasue these d-series gearboxes are cheap..it would have cost them more for all these "extra" parts they would need.

Back